We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York for a day?? Worth it?

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
New York for a day?? Worth it?

Hi, we are a family of 4, with 2 kids.

We are flying back from Orlando and have been asked if we want a one day stopover in ny. We will arrive at 9 at night and have to be back by 6 the following evening?

My husband has never been to ny and I was wondering if a day would give home enough time to see the city?

Was thinking the classic sights would be good- Statue of Liberty, Empire State, 9/11 memorial? And a walk around Times Square?

Will we have enough time?

Thank you for your help. X

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

Sure, its a good idea, although I don't know what you mean by "see the city." It is really impossible to see "all" the city, "all" the tourist sights, even if you had a year. But you can get a "sense" of NYC and it seems to good to pass up. Times Square is probably good due to iconic status. You cannot do Statue of Liberty, Empire State, 9/11, etc in this short time. Many sites have tickets, lines, etc. that take time. Although heading towards the 9/11 area will give you a different perspective of NYC.If you are set on SOL, I might suggest Staten Island Ferry, as it is free, quick and gives you a water view of NYC as well as a view of SOL.

Let's see what other people have to say....

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

I've done about four 1 night stopovers in NYC when heading back to the UK from elsewhere in the US. Its very doable and I am always amazed at how much I can get through. I would give the Empire State a miss and do the Rockerfeller instead as the view is better and if you don't have time to get to Central Park it has a wonderful view of the park from on high. As you'll arrive late I'd have an early night and get an early start the next day. Check out of your hotel first thing, leave your bags with the concierge and head out for the day. I agree the Staten Island Ferry gives a decent view of the Statue of Liberty and of the Manhattan skyline took.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

Get tickets to the 911Memorial then build your day around that. The SI ferry can be done before or after that as they are nearby, then continue with the others with the rest of the time.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

Just so you know, the (free) Staten Island Ferry is huge and really never completely full. So you can take it whenever it fits your schedule. Just make sure to get off quickly in Staten Island so you have time to exit and then return through the entrance to go back to Manhattan on the same boat. They won't let you just stay on board.

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

I think it is definitely worth it! Try and do Top of the Rock first thing in the morning ( 8 am!). It will be quiet there and you'll have a wonderful view over the city, including the Empire State Building. After that, I would go to south of Manhattan and catch the Staten Island ferry to enjoy SOL.

I would plan it as follows: 8 am till 9 am: top of the Rock

9am till noon: ferry ( it doesn't take that long, but just making a rough estimate)

Noon till 4pm: catch a water taxi to Brooklyn. From there you'll have a wonderful view over Brooklyn bridge. Walk over it towards Manhattan. leave for your hotel and airport.

It would be very hectic, but doable.Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

Yes! Sounds like a fun way to add on to your trip. Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

Totally worth it. You mention the 9/11 memorial. You might want to read on this site about how long you may spend waiting in line, going through security, etc. so you can decide if you want to devote a big chunk of your one day doing that. You could still walk near the site, go into the church, etc. TA talks about this. Have a great trip.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,608 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

Yes it is I have done a few one day trips so much to see just got to pick and decide what you want to see,and maybe in the future you might want to a 5-7 day stay.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
366 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

How old are your children? I'm thinking this might be exhausting for them. If they are 13 or older, yes, a full day in New York is better than not going at all.

The Hop On, Hop Off bus is excellent for an overview. You get to sit up high and see the sights. The commentary is way below average, but you can just ignore that. Take the Downtown Tour.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York for a day?? Worth it?

If you arrive at 9pm NYC time and have to be back in London at 6 pm London time the next day (1 pm NYC time) this is not a day in NYC. This is impossible. You barely have a few hours. What am I missing?