We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

Hello. I know that the question of "cheap clothing in NY" has been asked a lot of times, and that the answer is typically about stores of discounted designer items like Century 21 or Loehmann's.

I want to purchase some inexpensive, rather classic, items such as pants, shirts, sweaters and a winter coat/jacket. I actually plan to carry arrive with just a few things and purchase a lot of clothes. I care about quality but not brand names, and I'm weary that even with the discounts something like Century 21 will end up being unnecessarily expensive (ie I could get a very similar non brand jacket elsewhere for less).

Where should I go to? Macy's? JCPenney? Are the prices lower there than in Century 21? Are they also expensive places?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

Macy's

Lord and Taylor

Century 21

Burlington Coat Factory

Nordstrom Rack

Mentioned in this post
Lord & Taylor
Lord & Taylor
205 Reviews
New York City, NY
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

When are you arriving? If it is within the "season" keep in mind that it is very cold and showing up "empty" handed where essential clothing is concerned can lead you to possible hypothermia. That said, this is the time of the year when deals can be had with winter clothing. What is best and what is cheapest is like asking us how long a piece of string is. It will depend on your good luck as well as your tastes and budget.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,592 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

Men's Warehouse has a large selection of reasonably priced clothing.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

Thanks for the recommendations; won't be arriving "empty handed".

I guess what I'm looking for is Macy's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

I dont know why you feel Century 21 will be unnecessarily expensive. They and most of the stores listed in this thread have a wide range of prices. I used to find great prices on shirts for my husband at TJ Maxx (Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger etc.) but he now prefers the non- iron ones from Brooks Brothers....I wait til they,re on sale or go to one of the outet malls. Lord & Taylor has good prices for basics and I agree with Rassi on Mens Warehouse.

Mentioned in this post
Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren
45 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

If you are coming towards the end of the season Bloomingdale's store brands are pretty nice for sweaters, dress shirts, and coats.

Mentioned in this post
Bloomingdale's
Bloomingdale's
768 Reviews
New York City, NY
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

Don't know your sense of style, but Uniqlo, H & M, and TopShop all have lots of reasonably priced choices. Their wares tend to be more to the "fashion forward" rather than "stodgy traditional" but good quality for the price.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

I agree that Uniqlo is a great call for good quality basics for casual clothes and very popular for their down vests and jackets, but I don't think of H & M and Topshop as high quality...rather they strike me as throw away chic (wear it for one season and don't expect much more).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

Uniqlo men's shirts are pretty good, if I may say so, comparable to the Brooks Brothers non iron ones for quality. And you can't beat the price which is about half of BB's. Yes, they are not non-iron but if you hang dry and are not fussy, you can get away with it.

10. Re: Cheap, good non-designer (even discounted) men's clothing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19