We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First ever trip to NYC, things to do/see?

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
First ever trip to NYC, things to do/see?

I am planning a trip to NYC in November for 10 nights. What are the must do/see while there. I'm a bit of a foodie as well so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

This will be my first time there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First ever trip to NYC, things to do/see?

Welcome to the forum! If you let everyone know your interests then we can help you. Have you looked at the FAQ on the right hand side of this page? It's a good place to start to research. You may also want to get a guidebook to help you plan your trip.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First ever trip to NYC, things to do/see?

Please do yourself a favor - obtain a guidebook to see what the City has to offer.....then come back with things in which you are interested to get in-depth information!!!!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First ever trip to NYC, things to do/see?

Welcome to the forum.

The NYC forum is the most helpful forums you'll find, but you have to help us, help you. The best and easiest way to do this is by posting very detailed and specific questions.

I can't see where you are from but imagine if someone asked you this question about your capital city or NYC equivalent? The first things you'd ask would be how many people coming? Are their kids or seniors coming? What sorts of things do you like to do? Do you want to do the trip on a super cheap budget, on a medium budget with the odd splurge or is money no object?

You'd also note their foodie reference and ask things such as do you want to try a variety of cuisines and budgets? Do you want to eat at places owned by celebrity chefs and if so are you prepared to drop a few hundred dollars each time or are you willing to settle for their bakeries our less expensive restaurants? Are you interested in food and walking tours! Is there any kind of cuisine you really want to try or cannot eat?

Once you had all of this info you could then make some suggestions. Ditto for us helping you.

If I was you I'd start by getting a guide book. IMO you can't go past Lonely Planet. Even if you borrow one that's a bit dated from a friend or the library, the attractions will be the same. Also look at the top questions for the must sees and dos. This will allow you to get some basic ideas down.

Then get on the Internet. Start right here on trip advisor and do a forum search for trip reports for the month you're going in and also ones for couples, with kids, or whatever your situation is. Also have a look at tourist websites. I found www.nycgo.com to be very useful.

Re the food side of things, you must read the blog of Ziggy, the forum's resident foodie. In particular note his Hell's Kitchen recommendations and his food tour.

http://www.eatingwithziggy.com

You can also do food tours. There are several to choose from but www.freetoursbyfoot.com is a frequently recommended one. www.asliceofbrooklyn.com also gets mentioned a bit.

If you want to go solo then start coming up with places to go and make your own itinerary. I'm on smart phone so can't post a link but you must read the trip report of RootsZoe from start to finish and drool over the pictures right at the end. Type "Christmas and Food! Trip Report 18th - 27th December 2013" into the forum's search box and you'll find it. I'm also going to bump it up for you so hopefully its near your response.

Planning the trip is half the fun, hope this helps.

4. Re: First ever trip to NYC, things to do/see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19