We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

Orewa Beach, NZ
Level Contributor
202 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

Hi there! Can anyone help with the following... I'd like to find a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment, preferably serviced, over NYE 2014/2015 for 4 nights. Sleeps 6-8 people.

I'm finding it quite hard to find one. I can't use sites like Kayak which I usually use for accommodation as the max guests you can type in is 4. If I go to websites like ownersdirect or the like, you can't put in your exact dates, it just brings up a big list and it's super time consuming having to email every place individually for availability and rates in order to compare. I'm also wary of using a owner direct website for such a busy time of year. If we have any trouble close to time of travel, which unfortunately seems to sometimes happen listening to other people with these types of websites, we will be absolutely stuck as it's such a busy and expensive time of year for accom in NYC!

We'd prefer within 2 miles (give or take) from Times Square. Does anyone know of any serviced apartment buildings that have larger apartments, or a website where you can search specifically this?

Thanks so much!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

forget about renting an apartment - its illegal for less than 30 days in NYC

There are legal apartment style hotels however that may suit - you can then get a few rooms

What is your nightly budget per room?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

What you are wanting is going to be very expensive and rare to find , especially over the New Years break

The Marmara has 3 bedroom suites marmara-manhattan.com/upper-east-side/three-… , you will need to email then for a price.

You may be better off splitting up into 2 separate bookings , to get a better value for your money.

But firstly what is your budget to spend and how many beds do you really need

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

Renting apartments for less than 30 days is illegal in NYC. Please read the link in the top questions on the right hand side of the forum (not visible on smart phones) so you can avoid the exact things you are worried about.

Have a look at the many legal apartment style hotels such as the various Affina hotels and Radio City Apartments.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,956 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

Agree with above. Your only legal option is on an apartment hotel, most of which only go up to 2 bedrooms and even those are pricey. There are aome 2 bedroom suites that would sleep 6-8 doubling up in bedrooms and using the living room sofabed. Affinia Manhattan and Affinia Gardens are examples. You could also rent several suites at an inn like

Countryinnthecity.com

Innon23rd.com

Chelsealodge.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

The Marmara is the only one I know of with 3 bedrooms. It will be prohibitively expensive over NYE. What budget do you have? It will likely be cheaper getting 3-4 separate hotel rooms.

NYE average rates will be $400 per night.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

It's practically impossible to find a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment to live in in New York City, let alone alone for short term. The real estate just doesn't exist in that format. There are some, but they're VERY expensive because they're so rare. People who need four bedrooms buy houses, for the most part. (Or they move elsewhere.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

I remember an owner-occupied residence.. believe it was on the UES.. that nywhiz often use to mention via VRBO I think?! Nonetheless, it was able to accommodate up to 8 if I remember correctly! Is that still around?! Best to you Bunny81.. Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

The apartment style suites at Chelsea Lodge could work for you. They are all very near each other in a brownstone. You would want multiple suites for your stay, but they are roomy enough to gather together. The one we stayed in was roomy enough for 8 of us to sit around chatting and nibbling.

I noticed that there was a locked door that seemed like would have connected two of the suites. Not sure whether they ever open that up, but it really wouldn't matter as it would be easy to simply walk out into the hall to get to the next suite.

There are also affordable rooms in the main inn if some members of your party want to stay in less expensive accommodations (most of those have a shared bath, but a sink and shower in the room). It's just a few doors down from the brownstone suites. You could still all gather in one of the suites.

Orewa Beach, NZ
Level Contributor
202 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

Thanks for all the feedback, for those who asked we have 6 people but possibly 8. If apartments are illegal to rent under 30 days... does that mean all those on homeaway.com etc are illegal? Bit confused about that?!

Otherwise yes, hotel apartment style is fine and what I was generally looking - I don't think I was very clear - sorry! Thanks for all the help though, will also check out the Marmara.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York apartment help - 3-4 bedrooms

"If apartments are illegal to rent under 30 days... does that mean all those on homeaway.com etc are illegal? Bit confused about that?!"

Yes it does and the VRBO ones and all the other sites including TA