We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair User coming to NYC

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair User coming to NYC

I'm a wheelchair user and coming to NewYork in May. We have booked an apartment in Brooklyn that is accessible. However I'd like to know how would be the best way to get to Manhattan, subway, taxi, bus? Also are there discounts for my carer? I'd like to have the full NY experience so any other information or advice would be greatly received. Maybe have a helicoper ride or go on a water taxi. Thank You

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,963 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair User coming to NYC

Most apartment rentals are not legal

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

The best way of getting around is by bus. From Brooklyn that will take forever. Not all subway stations are accessible. As far as I know the are no discounts for your caregiver. I would change your accommodation to soemthing in Manahattan for the full NYC experience.

www.mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm

http://accessiblenyc.org/

nyc.gov/html/…accessibility_guide.pdf

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,963 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair User coming to NYC

The are many previous threads on accessibility if you do a text search. Here's one with more links

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4361037…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair User coming to NYC

I cannot answer most of your questions, but a very good way to get around with a wheel chair will be by public bus (not the hop-on; hop-off buses).

The public buses are great, albeit slower than going by subway (but a great way to sightsee and people watch).

Here are some links to the relevant MTA websites:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/

http://web.mta.info/accessibility/

Off the top of my head - NYC things to do that are accessible in a wheelchair:

- take in a view from up on high (Top of the Rock during the day or Empire State Building during the day or at night);

- over to the Promenades at Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO to see the view and/or the aerial tram to Roosevelt Island and head to the FDR Four Freedoms Memorial Park (check opening hours for that)

- Central Park

- the Museums

- the Highline

The trip on the water also sounds great. Another option that is often recommended is the Circle Line Ferry. You can look that up to see what it would be like in a wheelchair. We took the 3 hour ride right around the island of Manhattan and it was eye opening. Others say they thought it was too long and the 'top part' wasn't interesting, but I disagree. There are shorter options that only stay in the 'bottom part' of the Island.

Many others will offer other suggestions. If you do a search using the term 'wheel chair' there may be some ideas in other posts, and maybe even some Trip Reports to give you ideas.

Have a great holiday.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,893 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair User coming to NYC

This recent thread has info and links on getting around the city: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6914911…

Not even touching on the apartment rental issue, for you, staying outside of Manhattan will make travel times to the places most people want to see very time consuming and IMO have a negative impact on the quality of your trip.

As Whiz said the buses will take a lot of time to get to Manhattan and taxis could become quite expensive, that time and money would be better spend on a more convenient location.

If you post more information on your dates, arrival airport, number of beds/rooms needed and desired budget in US $ there are hotel experts her that can help recommend a hotel that will make your trip much more successful.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 13:17
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair User coming to NYC

We would like to come in May and stay for a week. We are looking for a double room and would like to stay somewhere in Manhattan. And willing to pay up to £100 per night. Any recommendation's greatly received. Thank you

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair User coming to NYC

£100 per night for a double room in May????

You have got to be kidding!

You had better think about upping your budget.

Where in London in May would you be able to get a double room for that price????

Edited: 06 January 2014, 21:03
7. Re: Wheelchair User coming to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:18