We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freaking out about the weather!

Bristol
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Freaking out about the weather!

We're due to arrive in NYC on thurs 9th January with our 10month old baby. We're staying at Affinia shelburne nr Grand Central Station.

Weather forecast is looking pretty chilly ...... Is everyone stuck indoors? Slightly freaking out that it's going to be way too cold to go out and see the sights ..... Please tell me it's going to warm up?!

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Not sure what you were expecting in NYC in January--but chances are it will be cold. By this weekend if will be in the 40s.

www.weather.com

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Indoors, not really. It will be business as usual. Warm up? Maybe, but then I'll come down again. That's January weather for you.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Not that chilly, just typical winter weather. Tomorrow is going to 15F - that's -10C. THAT'S cold. 35 or 40 degrees F (0-5C) isn't bad. You just have to dress appropriately. Hopefully you're prepared for winter weather? You have warm clothes for yourself and the baby?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

NYC does not shut down for a bit of nuisance weather - hats, sturdy walking boots, scarves, gloves some wear long underwear.

Long range for Thursday claims a high of 36F - not too bad, seeing tomorrow we are looking at high of 14F.

It's just one of those things we live with - if you wanted warm weather - spring/summer would have been a better option - that's just the way it is.........

Good luck!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

New YOrkers do not hibernate during the winter. We bundle ourselves and our children and DO go outside. You can do the same.

Bristol
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Brilliant. So glad. We've got our cold weather gear and walking boots ready to go., NYC here we come!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

It is January in NY. Had you wanted balmy temperatures, another month would have been better. However, you can manage just fine.

Proper clothing is key. If you're properly bundled up, you can get out and enjoy the weather. Plenty of stores with marked-down mittens, gloves, hats etc this time of year. Waterproof hikers with warm socks will do in all but the worst snowstorms. Thermal undies are good if you plan to be outside for hours but can get too hot if you're in and out of stores etc. Uniqlo is a great NYC store specializing in warm things.

Also, the roof deck of the double decker tour bus is colder than anyplace else in the city. Ask how I know ;).

Love walking Central Park in winter!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

If you are dressed right it shouldn't bother you too much. If you can, take a walk in Central Park. The snow makes it looks so nice, that was one of my favourite things I did. There'll be others out and about there too.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

I Don't know why you are freaking out. The forecast on weather.com starting January 9th and continuing until the 15th shows temps above freezing (0°C/32°F) every single day. I would be celebrating that it is not going to be uncomfortably cold while travelling between the sites.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,351 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Make sure you have a couple of thick scarves, or purchase them. If it's very cold and windy, pull a wrapped scarf up to cover your nose, cheeks and mouth. Not only does it protect your cheeks and nose from frost bite, it also moistens and warms the air you breathe.

I saw some photos from folks who withstood NYE Times Square cold and they were wearing only one rather skinny crochet scarf wrapped once around the neck, so I thought visitors may not realize what a big difference a heavy and large scarf can make (or two of them). It should be large enough to wrap around your neck (maybe even a couple of times), cover the top of your chest, and also able to pull up to cover the bottom of your face.