We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freaking out about the weather!

Bristol
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Freaking out about the weather!

We're due to arrive in NYC on thurs 9th January with our 10month old baby. We're staying at Affinia shelburne nr Grand Central Station.

Weather forecast is looking pretty chilly ...... Is everyone stuck indoors? Slightly freaking out that it's going to be way too cold to go out and see the sights ..... Please tell me it's going to warm up?!

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

I'm sure air fares has a lot to do with it. Prices have been on the up and up in recent years, so lower winter fares must be attractive. Plus, you book months ahead, and the whole weather thing may not be at the forefront!

When I still lived in the UK, I used to always plan winter trips, but that was more because my trips where worked around hockey. Still, I actually like cold weather. And prefer to be in cities in the cold weather.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
329 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Oh I know MoreFFmiles the weather has been ridiculously changeable here too. I'm talking about worse case scenario, and packing lots of layers for said worst case scenario, better prepared for the worse and not need them

but yes Poppa, cheap airfares are definitely a lot more attractive. In our case we won a trip for two, and it was the cheapest time to add on a third it;s really a once in a lifetime trip and we just got lucky. we'd never be able to afford a trip for the three of us

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

**I'm talking about worse case scenario**

I mean...what is considered worst case?

It's will be cold he next TWO days....but it is not as if NYC has/will shut down.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
329 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

but it is not as if NYC has/will shut down.

That's my point exactly. Like I said, NY is actually equipped to deal with this weather a lot better than Ireland/The UK is. We get two inches and the whole place shuts down. I mean the bad weather is do-able in a place like NY, as long as you pack for the worst and be prepared for the cold if you need it, which hopefully we won't so really, there should be no freaking out at all

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,528 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Bundle up and enjoy your trip but next time I would plan a warmer time of year to go with a infant.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

I'm here now and whilst it is cold its not as cold as people made out to me before I come. Thermals plus normal coat and hat gloves etc will keep you warm

Ps warm winds and Lmv congratulations on the engagement

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

xjennamarie

Bit colder than Oludeniz I bet, "Don't worry not stalking you," me and my Wife are going on extensive holiday in 2016 around the states(looking for ideas?),I have just seen on bbc news that the weather is supposed to be freezing snow storms everywhere,some one as done a test with a t-shirt somewhere in the states its that cold it can freeze a wet t-shirt in less than a minute.Have a great time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

While it is cold, it is bright and sunny, even invigorating. Bundle up and enjoy it!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,248 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Quite cold. We've kept the grandkids home from school.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Freaking out about the weather!

Some good tips:

…nytimes.com/2014/…