We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

Ibague, Colombia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

Good morning New York City Forum users, I have a couple of questions about Long Island Railroad.

1) I'm planning to get out from JFK in the airtrain, I travel with my parents and we're planning to take the train to Penn Station. Is it a good idea to take that train with baggage? it's not so much, just a bag per person.

2) I saw on the web that the ticket's cost is $9.00 in station/TVM. What does it mean? I want to keep our trip cheap because it says that on board it costs $16.00, so I don't actually know where to buy the tickets.

I will be very thankfull to you when you answer

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

1. it is fine

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

When you exit the AirTrain you will be able to buy combined tickets for the AirTrain (which you don't pay for until you get off) and the Long Island Rail Road. There are personnel there to help you if needed. If your parents are over 65 they get a discount. If you're traveling on Saturday or Sunday you all get discounts.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,918 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

The reason there are two prices is because you can buy tickets BEFORE you get on the train ( the ones for $9) --and personnel at the Air Train station will help you, OR you can buy tickets ON the train from the conductor. (the $16 ones) The Long Island Railroad wants to strongly discourage people from buying on the train--thus the large discrepancy. Make sure you keep your ticket. THe conductor could ask for it at any time.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

The LIRR is excellent. Fast and frequent. Plenty of room for luggage.

The fare is $9.00 on peak trains (arriving in NYC on weekdays between 5:00AM and 10:00AM and on trains leaving Manhattan 4 - 8 PM on weekdays. All other times is $7.00. Off Peak. On Weekends it is $4.00 "City Ticket" All easy and well-marked. There are uniformed people to help. You can confidently take the train. Remember, discounts too for seniors.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,515 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

Why not just take the E subway train to Penn Station? It is actually more spacious for luggage; it costs $2.50 per person, it takes about 8 minutes longer. You get on near the beginning of the line, so it will be completely empty and you'll get an easy seat with space for the luggage right in front of you, not a narrow aisle with many forward or rearward facing seats all filled up already, as you may find on the LIRR.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 16:35
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

TVM = Ticket Vending Machine

7. Re: Doubts about Long Island Rail Road.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18