We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Canal Street?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where is Canal Street?

Hi, I am staying at the Millenium Broadway Hotel this weekend and after reading another post about purchasing pocketbook knock off's on Canal Street. I want to go!!! How do I get there and how far away is Canal Street from Times Square? Thanks

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is Canal Street?

Canal Street is the southernmost Street in Manhattan that runs all the way from river to river. It is approximately three miles south of Times Square.

Because most subway lines run north-south, and because Canal Street extends east-west the whole width of the island, there are lots of subway stations along Canal Street -- but for your purposes all of them are NOT equally useful. You do NOT want to use the #1 train or the A/C/E trains to their "Canal Street" stations, for they will leave you too far west. Instead, use any Broadway BMT train (the N, Q, R, or W lines), and they will take you to Canal Street and Broadway, in what is now Chinatown.

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is Canal Street?

From the Times Square station take the N or R train DOWNTOWN to Canal. St. A 15 to 20 minute trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is Canal Street?

Thanks... I've never been on a subway and have to admit am a little nervous since it's my first time. Is it really simple or am I going to be panicking?? lol,

Perhaps just jumping in a taxi would be easier? But, was wondering the cost?

Which is cheaper?

Thanks again!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is Canal Street?

The subway will be cheaper. The key to manuevering in the subway is to take your time. Look carefully at the signs and relax. The New York Subway system is easily managed even for a first timer. If I am ever confused I have always found other passengers very helpful so just ask someone if you are concerned. Moms

New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is Canal Street?

Thanks! I have one more stupid question... I am staying at the Millennium Broadway hotel. Can I just go down any of the subway platforms and take the correct line to Canal Street and also return the same way? Or do I need to go to a specific location for a particular subway line?

I hope I am asking this correctly.

Thanks

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is Canal Street?

You are asking this question correctly. You will need to go to a specific entrance for a specific line. Each entrance may have several lines but you need to look for the correct line. You need to make sure you are heading in the correct direction as well. If the overhead says that it is going to Queens you are going the wrong way to Canal Street. I would need to look at a map to determine the correct train for you but I think you were provided the info by Green White and Blue. Again, just relax and take your time looking at the lines and entrances. You will not be the only one doing this at Times Square and Canal Street as many tourists will be in your shoes. Moms

Helsinki, Finland
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is Canal Street?

You need not worry about learning the subway in New York City. My first time I was nervous but found it easy to use. As I travel all over the world I make a point now of using local transportation instead of taxis. It's a great way to learn the layout of a city, see the local people, and save some money.

A concierge or clerk in your hotel should be able to give you some guidance.

Also, New Yorkers are surprisingly friendly.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is Canal Street?

Bodari--When you exit your hotel make a right turn. On the next street (a few hundred feet) make a left turn and walk two blocks. You will then be at 42 Street and Broadway subway stop. Take the N or R train downtown to the Canal Street stop.

NC
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is Canal Street?

New Yorkers are VERY friendly! When I first started learning the subway, I just told the attendant in the station where I wanted to go and they told me which train to take. It's really not hard I promise...and sooo much cheaper than cabs! Have fun and try to save me at least one purse :-)

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is Canal Street?

Hotel to Canal St. - just under 3 miles

Subway fare is $2 a person. Once on train trip will take around 20 minutes.

Taxi fare will be about $10. Will take about 20 minutes in normal traffic, 30 minutes or more in heavy traffic.