We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roosevelt Island Tram

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Roosevelt Island Tram

Is this worth a trip, read some views and it sounds like you can get some good views of NYC.

If so what time is best to go on there? We are in NYC 10/02-14/02/14.

Where do you catch it from?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

The first question I tried to ask myself yesterday and got short shrift. I wish you greater success and will be keeping an eye out what answers you receive.

As for the second you really should be finding that information out for yourself with a Google search.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

I've been on it several times myself and I think it has great views that are worth it. It's only a few minutes each way so if you don't like it you've only lost a very short time out of your day. Locals would know better than me when is the best time, but I've found the least crowded was when I was on it weekdays from about 11am to 3pm or so. There were only a handful of people on at that time so I got several good photos and videos. Link below with fare info, etc.

rioc.ny.gov/tramtransportation.htm

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

I bring out of town friends on the tram all the time. Yes, it's a great view.

I prefer after dark when things are glittery. Just avoid rush hours from 5-7 PM. It leaves from 60th Street and 2nd Avenue. Then you can walk down the edge of Roosevelt Island to Four Freedoms Park and look at Manhattan from the water.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

And if you're in a hurry to get back to anywhere in Manhattan after you've gotten to Roosevelt Island, walk one block north to get the F train back into the City.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 15:41
london
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

The best time to go on the tram is at night without a doubt. The tram line is amazing in itself as it trails down parallel to one of the Bridges and over traffic with beautiful views. Then the view from the island is magnificient. Me and my friends just sat and stared. Its a beautiful serene feeling with the water all around and the tall amazing skyline in front with all lights glistening. One of my favourite sights. Do it at night so you get the real stary eyed skyline view. Defo worth the trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

Could I please ask, particularly of you, jhwanderer, how important it is to avoid 5-7pm and exactly what one would be faced with going then? Because a visit to the tram and Island fits perfectly into my schedule at exactly that time on a Monday afternoon in February.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,033 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

It's rush hour between those times; many people still use it as their transportation to and from work -

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

It's just very crowded. The view will be as lovely, but you may be crammed into a box that holds as many standing humans as a box possibly can.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

I appreciate it's rush hour but that can mean many different things.

So that's what's it like on the Roosevelt Island Tramway during rush hour? Sardines? Both directions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roosevelt Island Tram

Will the early end of this window be lighter? Sort of 4.45-5.30pm window?