We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas in New York

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Xmas in New York

Hi

I will be spending xmas and new years in New York. I will be travelling alone, as I am staying in a hotel, are there any suggestions as to how I could meet people. I usually stay in a hostel where its easy to meet fellow travellers. I was also wandering what I could do Xmas Day. Not sure what would be open, thought there might be a meeting place for travellers?

Thanks

Julie.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas in New York

Bump....

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas in New York

Do a forum search and you will see many posts about what was open on Christmas Day 2013. You can also get suggestions from the many trip reports that have been posted in the last couple of weeks.

Typical examples include going to see the Rockettes at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, Central Park, walking the Brooklyn Bridge, exploring China Town and having dum sim and eating at one of the many restaurants that will be open (menus usually appear about a month in advance).

Closer to the date it may be worth Googling or emailing hostels to see if they are doing anything to celebrate the day and see if you can attend.

Is there a reason you're staying in a hotel instead of a hostel?

Edited: 12 January 2014, 23:10
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas in New York

Unlike other countries, many things are now open in New York on Christmas Day including some major department stores. However, there are still places that observe the holiday such as museums. Chinese restaurants are likely to be open as a last resort if you get stuck. New Years Day is not observed much anymore by retail businesses. Mass transit operates on a reduced schedule on these two holidays.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas in New York

99% of places are shut down on Christmas Day, and early closing on Christmas Eve. Few non-Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas Day, but you could go to movies and watch some broadway shows (some shows are open). Just walk around the generally empty streets on Christmas. (Times Square and Rockefeller center may be busy).

5. Re: Xmas in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 13:46
Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas in New York

My wife and I were in NYC for Christmas 2013 and we were surprised as we walked around the number of places that actually were open. Some of the smaller jewelry stores and some of the smaller electronics shops in Times Square were open. Many restaurants were open as well. We had reservations for dinner but if we hadn't we would have been able to find an open restaurant without any problem. In particular the hotel restaurants will all be open.

We had a lovely days walking around Central Park, with many others enjoying the day there as well.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas in New York

You might want to post this nearer to Christmas - people are just getting over the holidays and in a different mode....just a friendly suggestion.

Poppa

8. Re: Xmas in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:17