We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sigshtseeing and public transport discount cards

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sigshtseeing and public transport discount cards

Hi everybody! We've been searching the web so as to see what's most convenient but yet we can´t make up our minds... Could you please help me to see which are the sightseeing and public transport discount cards most convenient taking into account we are spending 27 days in NYC? We're arriving on 20 Jan and leaving on 17 Feb.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sigshtseeing and public transport discount cards

I would list the sites you want to visit first and prices then compare with cards on offer.

You can get a weekly pass for $30 for subway and bus.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sigshtseeing and public transport discount cards

If you're in NYC for 27 days you'll probably want a MONTHLY unlimited Metrocard. It saves you a bit of money over four weekly passes and it provides loss and theft protection as long as you buy it with a credit card.

Here's the URL and the relevant information from the site:

www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited

30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard

Cost: $112, reduced fare $56

Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 30 days from day of first use. This card is protected against loss of theft when purchased at a vending machine with a creditor debit/ATM card.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sigshtseeing and public transport discount cards

Agree with above...get the MONTHLY Metrocard.....Very good value for the amount of time that you will be here...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sigshtseeing and public transport discount cards

Yes we got a monthly card for our 23 days.....it was great.

I didn't know about the loss and theft protection. That would have been a handy reassurance, I was a bit anxious I'd lose my card.

We bought ours from a Station Agent. I don't know if this is the norm with Monthly cards, but she gave us white cards with the famous 'I Heart NY' logo which we were so happy about, and why I really didn't want to lose my card...what a momento.

5. Re: Sigshtseeing and public transport discount cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17