We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

Happy New Year!

We are headed with another couple to NYC the end of March. We just made reservations at the new Hilton at 237 West 54th street.

Would you be so kind as to suggest some dining?

Bagels?

Pizza?

Bakery?

Ice cream?

Lunch and Dinner? We love Thai, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, French (Bistro), basically anything.

Shopping and sites near the hotel?

Thank you, so much!

If you had one museum to visit which would it be?

London, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

It's right by the Ameritania, so if you search for that on Trip Advisor, then click on the map to the right of the screen, under the heading "Browse nearby", all the pins for Restaurants/Things to do etc will show up, and you can explore those. Also, if you search the forum for posts from people asking about what's around a hotel nearby, ie Ameritania, Dream New York, Hotel Bryant, you can look at what was recommended to them.

I am staying at the same hotel 2 weeks before you, and searching the forum has given me so much useful info, it really is a fabulous store of knowledge!

Hell's Kitchen is a short distance and comes highly recommended by a lot of people for great ethnic food. Check out this food blog by forum guru Ziggy: eatingwithziggy.com/category/new-york-city/

Edited: 11 January 2014, 12:27
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

Google maps has a very cool feaature called "search nearby" that lets you find things near a location. So if you map the hotel and then click search nearby, you can type in the box that appears whatever you want from general restaurants to pizza etc.

maps.google.com

The other way to find food is to look on

menupages.com

The hotel is in the west 50's

Now that you know how to do it, I'll give you a headstart based on memory.

Pizza- Don Antonio is fabulous and Angelo's is pretty good.

Ice cream- Grom on Broadway near Columbus Circle

www.grom.it/eng/dettagli_gelateria.php…

Bakery- FPB (Francoise Payard Bakery), Maison Keyser (1800 Broadway), Crumbs (1675 Broadway)

Bagels- Bagelstix, Bagel & Bean

Mexican- Toloache

Chinese - Gourmet Szechuan 56 is a favorite of Ziggy's

Speaking of Ziggy, here's a link to his Hell's Kitchen guide, the area surrounding your hotel.

eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

While there's lots of good eating near there, I hope you'll explore other areas of the city for dining when you don't have to go to the theater.

As far as shopping, there's a TJ Maxx 3 blocks north of you on 57th st. At Columbus Circle is an upscale mall in the Time Warner building

http://www.theshopsatcolumbuscircle.com/

If you walk east toward Fifth ave. you'll find Henri Bendel, Bergdorf, Tiffany, Saks, the shops in Rockefeller Center

www.rockefellercenter.com/shop-and-eat/…

If you are not a museum person, I would pick the one museum that will have the most things that YOU would like. Most people would tell you to go to the Met Museum since it has something for everyone, but if you're not much into museums, it can also be overwhelming as it's SOOOO big. So if you go there, pick a particular area to see or try to do a highlights tour. Otherwise, my favorite is probably the Frick which is small and very manageable.

frick.org

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

It's not a museum in the traditional sense but the Tenement Musuem is very interesting. You must book a tour.

And while in that neighborhood, have a meal at Katz's Deli. Surely you won't be near the hotel for lunch and dinner daily.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

You don't have to eat/shop/etc only near your hotel. Explore the other parts of the city...

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

Thank you, so much, these are great ideas!!

SE QLD
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

See you there! We've just booked for the end of March as well.

Thanks for the tips NYwhiz. I didn't have Don Antonios on my list.

7. Re: Dining/Shopping/Sites near Hilton Garden Inn Central Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18