We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place in New York

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place in New York

Hi,

I am taking my mum and auntie fir my mums birthday and we have never been before, I am bait stuck on where to stay.

We would like to do all the tourist attractions like Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Central Park and also see a show.

Any suggestions on where is best??

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place in New York

somewhere in the middle would do the trick ^_^

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place in New York

Hi Molly,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you post your dates, your budget (in US$$), your preferred bedding arrangements and also any other requirements (eg fridge, wifi, microwave, gym etc). The accommodation experts will get back to you when they know this information.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place in New York

Seriously, though, there is no such place as 'the best' as lots of interesting places are littered all over. But midtown Manhattan is a good place for a first trip,.

Most important would be: withing walking distance of a subway, then you can get anywhere

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place in New York

As long as you ar all able to get around fine then you have lots of transport options so try to get a hotel not too far from the subway.

How long are you in the city for?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place in New York

I second that welcome to TripAdvisor.

I also agree with Jenny that you need to provide us with a lot more information about your dates, budget (which in this city is a key question) and requirements. Otherwise we will all say you should stay at the Waldorf Astoria! ;)

Also, you say you are stuck, which suggests you've been doing your own research. Have you? What are some of the areas and hotels that you've been considering? And what's causing you to be stuck making a decision?

Let us know what the problem is and we'll stand a better chance of helping you with it.

Lucky Mum!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place in New York

lassie's totally right there. Manhattan (where you're almost certainly going to want to stay) isn't really that big and there's Subway stations everywhere.

I'm agreeing a lot in this thread... seems so unlike me!

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place in New York

So you all think Manhattan?? I was thinking about Air BNB but don't no if its the best option.

The feedback is greatly appreaciated guys i am really confused.

Looking from the 17th of september for 4 days can go any date from then to early October.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place in New York

I keep looking on the internet and its all Midtown and East town and Queens and Brooklyn i have heard some bad reviews on some like SoHo and Brooklyn that there are many gangs and its quite ruff.

I am just very stuck.

I obv don't want to be over priced along as i get my value for money. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place in New York

Don't stay in Queens. You need no other reason than it's far away from the stuff you want to see.

Brooklyn I would say the same.

You certainly don't need to worry about gangs in SoHo. Sandra Bullock lives in SoHo. The Kardashians have got a shop in Soho!

Midtown is, for the purpose of this conversation and making things easy for you, the centre of the city. It's a great place to be based.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 23:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place in New York

Use hotel comparison sites like hotels.com and booking.com and Expedia. Use all the search criteria that fit your requirements to narrow down the list. And when you find a few you like the look of check them out on the TripAdvisor review site. Or run them past us here on the forum.

But don't worry yourself about it. It's supposed to be a holiday!!

Edited: 11 January 2014, 23:39