We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starwood Hotel Choice

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Starwood Hotel Choice

I have a few days in New York in July, as a stop over to Washington DC to attend a Microsoft Conference It is my first time to new York. I read the FAQ regarding the different locations in New York, and I am still lost where I should stay. I am a guy, travelling single and I would like to walk around, look at art, history, people and food. Not really into shopping and family stuff. I might do a musical on broadway, I might visit the statue of liberty just to tick it off my list, I might do the Empire state building for the same reason.

I want to stay at a starwood hotel as I am SPG platinum status so I get more bang for buck compared to other chains. maybe at the range of USD 200-300 a night give or take.

Is there a SPG hotel in a location like San Francisco's Union Square (Westin St Francis) which I liked the location and what it offers? (Close to shopping, great food, fisherman's wharf and the golden gate park...etc).

I would really love to hear some opinions.

Thanks so much for helping.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

There's no one best location in NYC that would put you near everything. The things you list are all over and you'll want to use the subway to get around. For a first visit with your wants, I'd pick the Parker Meridien. It's a block from Central Park, has a somewhat rare rooftop swimming pool (enclosed) a nice amenity in July...is also walking distance to Times Square/theaters and Fifth ave. shops and near a number of different subway lines. If that's too expensive, you might look at the Sheraton Times Square. It's a BIG convention hotel but was recently renovated, has relatively big rooms and a club room where you'd be entitled to free breakfast, snacks etc. it's not right in Times Squae (a good thing).

If you were interested in staying near some fun restaurants, I'd say the W Union Square.

DC
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

I'm Starwood Plat with lots of NY stays. Here are my two cents. Le Parker Meridien is probably your number one choice. It's well located, they have nice facilities, and they treat Plats well (you'll get a junior suite). Number two would be the W Union Square. It's a very nice hotel in a good location (but different from LPM) with very good subway access. The Sheraton, Westin, and W around Times Square are all good, but I don't like Times Square. The W Downtown is very nice, but downtown isn't really where you want to stay. I haven't stayed at the Sheraton Brooklyn, but it's a new hotel in a good location, so it should be on your list.

Here's where NOT to stay.The W NY on Lexington will put you into a tiny room and call it a double upgrade (which it will be). Stay away. If you stay at the Element NY Times Square West you may spend a hour a day waiting for the elevator.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

Thanks so much for the replies. I will read up on the hotels.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

Hi, my July trip is finally drawing close and I need to book my hotel. I have been procrastinating for months so I have to bite the bullet and make a decision.I want to stay at SPG properties since I am SPG Plat.

This is part of a long 3 and a half weeks road trip. While the Le Parker Meridien looks excellent, price during my stay period is $342 for a standard room. This is a bit painful for me as this occurs at the end of the trip.I was planning to eat at some of New Yorks Iconic restaurants and this adds up to quite a bit.

The Times Square hotels cost the following W- $283, Westin-$277, Sheraton-$278

W Union Square is even higher at $368 a night

The Sheraton Brooklyn, on the other side of town is a lowly $180

Would appreciate if you could give me an opinion on whether to splurge it and do the Le Parker, or maybe save $60 a night (for 4 nights) and settle in one of the times square SPGs, or even stay in Brooklyn?

I could even split my stays, if staying in different New York locations actually lead to a different experience?

I know its going to be my decision, but I am having a hard time deciding .If you can edge me one way or another I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you so very much.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

Of the Sheraton, W, or Westin - I would take the Westin.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

I don't know when in July you're coming, but those prices are frankly ridiculous for July. Before I'd pay any of those prices to stay in touristy, crowded Times Square for a single guy interested in art and food, I'd either pick one of the other downtown hotels (Four Points Soho, W Downtown, Sheraton Tribeca) or I'd use a non Starwood hotel. The Sheraton Brooklyn is very nice, but most everything you'll want to see is in Manhattan. If you're only here for a few days, wasting time changing hotels makes no sense.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

I am in new york from the 19-23rd July, if the dates has any bearing on the hotel prices :-(

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

If you want a Starwood hotel, the Westin Grand Central is fine. Otherwise, I'd pick the Nolitan.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 01:34
new york
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

I would pick the Four Points Soho. While it doesn't have the amenities of some of the other hotels, the location is great. It is a short walk to either Greenwich Village or Soho. The subway is a block away.

Of the Times Square choices (I have stayed in the Westin, W, Sheraton and Four Points Midtown), I would pick the W then Westin. However, the location is crazy busy with tourists and doesn't give you that neighborhood feel.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starwood Hotel Choice

Thanks. Let me take a look at the rest of the Starwood Hotels. :-)