We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
142 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

I am visiting NYC for 5 nights at the start of Feb. I have found what I think is a great rate for the Manhattan at Times Square - $100 per night, room only in a standard room.

I have seen the reviews on TA and notice the renovations that seem to be ongoing at the hotel in the lobby area. To be honest, I'm going to spend most of my time shopping, drinking, and sight seeing so lobby works really doesn't bother me.

But, does anyone know if the hotel is literally 'falling apart'...and thus the renovations, or is it just old & tired (which doesn't bother me).

Also anyone know about the in room WiFi - what the charges are and service is like. (I have tried e-mailing the hotel but no response to date on this matter).

If anyone believes I can find a superior hotel for the same kind of price in the same area, happy for any recommendations. I don't want to have long walks to do what I want to do given the likely weather conditions in NYC in Feb!! I had considered the Marcel at Gramcercy which is available for only slightly more per night and seems much more modern, but location seems not as central??

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

In my experience hotels are not very good at replying to emails. I'd phone them. And address all your questions directly.

Express your concerns about the renovations and and seek their assurance that if you have any complaints during your stay that they will be dealt with.

And direct with the hotel is the only way of getting up-to-date information about WiFi charges. Even if someone does tell you them here if you get to the hotel and they are different you can't say, 'Yeah, but...'

Information on the WiFi strength might be harder to get out of the hotel staff. Perhaps an option would be to visit the review side of TripAdvisor and send private messages to a handful of recent reviewers. Wifi is so vital to peoples' lives these days that you can almost guarantee some of them will have used it in the hotel.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

Well, I'd want to make sure about extra "fees" over $100, which is almost unbelievable. A Marcel review mentions "earplugs provided". If renovation is underway at the Hotel Manhattan, you might need earplugs there too. I have never been in a room at either hotel, but I prefer the Hotel Manhattan location. I think it has scaffolding around it right now, so I'd expect plenty of noise and dust inside.

If you are booking a Manhattan NYC room for $100, you should not be asking about Wifi quality. This is an unheard of price for a block away from Times Square AND a few, current, favorable reviews on TA. If you read ten reviews, I think you might have an accurate overview of the whole picture.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
142 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

They are doing some pretty keen rates right now, presumably because of the renovation works. Totalling $95 a night for me including a 20% discount for staying 5 nights.

I've found the answer to my original wifi question..$17 per day hi speed, $15 for regular speed.

Think I'll give it a try unless I uncover a bargain elsewhere in the meantime !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

What are your dates?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

The brand new (and very nearby) Hilton Garden Inn Central Park South (opens January 27) is offering a great rate on travelzoo.com. $119 on weekends, $129 on weekdays for a king bed room. Wifi is included and all rooms have frig, microwave and coffee maker. Rate is fully cancelable until the day before arrival, but this sale must be booked by Tuesday. Travelzoo will link you to the hotel website or you can go directly to the hotel website and enter 2669220 in the corporate account box to get this rate. It is not available on February 1,2-Super Bowl weekend.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
142 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

Hi

My dates are feb 5-feb - feb 10

Thanks for the tip re the new HGI. Unfortunately that rate doesn't include taxes (the $95 at The Manhattan does), and when the taxes are added the HGI rate per night is $140+

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

So adding WiFi at the Manhattan makes it $112 versus $140 at the Hilton Garden Inn. That's $28 to stay in a brand new hotel rather than one that is a) in need of renovation and b) undergoing those renovations.

I think you should be biting someone's hand off.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,762 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

If the wifi is too dear at the hotel, there's always Starbucks which offer a free wifi connection & there is one every few blocks in Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

If you belong to your auto club, try clicking the AAA rate for the HGI Central Park which may be cheaper. I also think if you tried bidding on Priceline you could get a much better (4*) hotel at that price.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan at Times Square - WiFi & Current Condition

There's a 2.5* hotel in the Times Square area on Hotwire with a 90% thumbs up rating for $78/night plus tax on your dates. It includes free breakfast and free internet. I THINK it's the Candlewood Suites but am not sure. But I sure would chance that before staying at the Manhattan.