We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

Sorry i know this kind of question has been asked a hundred times but i couldnt find any info on my specific situation.

Im travelling to NYC in May and flying SYD-LAX-JFK and my flight arrives in JFK at 7:40PM on a Saturday evening, i want to know the best way to reach the Edison Hotel @ Time square, i know by train will most likely be the fastest but im not sure about the idea of jostling through the streets on a saturday evening with our luggage, i have read a few people suggesting catching the train to Penn station and then getting a cab from there, will it be possible to get a cab from Penn on a Saturday night? Is there a better station to get off at?

I would like to catch a cab all the way from JFK but will the time square area be in total gridlock at 9:30ish on a Saturday night?

Just looking for the quickest but also most conveniet way to get to the hotel (helicopter is out of the question as suggested in another thread hehe)

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

Take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station.

Take the NYC subway ( E train) to 50th street station in Manhattan.

Get out and walk 3 blocks and you will at Edison Hotel.

Also, if you planning on taking public transport, I recommend getting a 7 day metro pass. It is $31 for unlimited rides on Trains, Buses and Roosevelt Island Tram. It is well worth it even if you stay for less than 7 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

Thanks alot idrinkwater, do you know roughly how long the trip would take from including catching the airtrain etc?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

Hmm it all depends. I have done it in 40 mins but it could take from 40 mins to about an hour. It is a direct train.

Air Train takes about 15-20 mins and E train could about 30 mins.

You can also take the train to Penn Station an take the Long Island Rail Road. It takes bout 20 mins from Jamaica Station to get to Penn Station. You may have to take a cab from Penn Station( convenient) or you can take the Subway.

If it is your first time, then i recommend taking a cab.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 22:29
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

Agree with Idrinkwater. I'd guess something over an hour from your JFK terminal to the 50th Street station.

Exit at the front end and you'll reach the street at 49th Street & 8th Avenue. There are elevators available (and hopefully they'll be operating.) Just walk down 8th Avenue two short blocks to 47th Street, turn left and your hotel will be on that block, on the right hand side.

You won't really be walking through the particularly crowded part of Times Square at all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

Thanks alot for all your advice!

Any comment on how long a cab would likely take from JFK?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

The thing with a taxi on a Saturday evening in May is that if it is mild and everybody is coming into Manhattan from the 'burbs for a Saturday evening on the town, this could be an excruciatingly long and painfully slow trip. The train is reliable. It will take almost an hour (50 - 55 min) and save a lot of money. Ah, so many choices... : )

7. Re: Best way from JFK - Edison Hotel 8:30 Saturday Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:17