We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about things I've seen.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Topic
Questions about things I've seen.

As I was out and about walking today, there were several times I asked my self 'I wonder why...' Anyway, I thought I'd ask the locals.

Q1: Why does the No Pants Subway Ride take place in January instead of a warmer month? And is it part of the event to continue wearing no pants on the street? Yes, it was warmer today but it's still not warm enough to prance about on the streets in your knickers.

Q2: The on/off ramp at the Queensboro Bridge (where the Roosevelt Island tramway is) has a building in the centre with Entrance and Exit signs. Can you go in here? Where does it take you?

Q3: There is a building on the SW corner of Park & 53rd. I think there's a bank branch at street level. What is this building used for? I've passed it before but only today I realised why it keeps catching my interest: The top floor has no windows. There are arches filled with brickwork. It looks purpose made but I can't think what's in there that you'd want to forgo windows.

Q4: a couple of times today while waiting to cross at the lights, both the red hand and white walking man were lit up. Is this a glitch or does it actually mean something?

And haven't I done a great job by bringing this milder weather with me. No need for thanks. You're welcome. :-)

Thanks, Mez.

Mentioned in this post
Queensboro Bridge
Queensboro Bridge
229 Reviews
New York City, NY
Roosevelt Island
Roosevelt Island
659 Reviews
New York City, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

Q1: Because it is an international day event. In some places it is warm in January.

Q4: It's a glitch. It should be reported and fixed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

Q1. You'd probably need to ask Improv Everywhere, but I imagine because it's even stranger in the depth of winter than in mid-Summer. And in summer, you may not notice, given shorts and skirts being worn.

Q2. No idea, but I'll do some research and see if I can figure it out.

Q3. It's a tennis club - the higher floors are the courts. :) www.lookze.com/building.php… Here's a the NYT Streetscapes article: nytimes.com/1997/11/23/realestate/streetscap…

Q4. Glitch. Happens semi-regularly.

And thanks for getting rid of the polar vortex for us.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 00:40
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

Q2 - I believe it's the old trolley station:

"Roosevelt Island had been connected to Manhattan by a trolley line that crossed over the Queensboro Bridge from its opening in 1909. Trolleys to and from Queens stopped in the middle of the bridge to meet an elevator, which then took passengers down to the island. As the only connection to the rest of the city from the island, the trolley remained in service until April 7, 1957, long after most other trolley service had been dismantled in the city, and was the last trolley line in New York State"

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/qborobr.html

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

Edited: 13 January 2014, 01:12
Mentioned in this post
Roosevelt Island
Roosevelt Island
659 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queensboro Bridge
Queensboro Bridge
229 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

Don't know why the Columbia link in message 3 isn't working... but if you copy and paste into your browser it's interesting reading.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

1) for the same reason they have the polar plunge on Jan 1...

2) http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/qborobr.html

3) Raquet & Tennis Club-famous and difficult o get in

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racquet_and_Tennis_Club

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,228 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

Hope you are having a wonderful time Mez and that your feet are warm enough!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

“Q4: A couple of times today while waiting to cross at the lights, both the red hand and white walking man were lit up. Is this a glitch or does it actually mean something?”

A4: It actually means something:

1. The simultaneous walk-don’t walk sign has historical roots. It commemorates the time when Peter Minuet, on his way to a clambake, had trouble deciding the dual questions of whether he should take his wagon, or a pedicab, and he was late.

2. The 2-part go-no-go sign signifies, to both locals and visitors, that New Yorkers truly understand the nature of schizophrenia.

3. The new traffic sign you saw is in honor of our neighbor, Governor Chris Christie. The 2-part sign shows the duality that visitors--to both New York and to New Jersey—will always appreciate merit in his Port Authority appointments. The 2-part traffic sign reflects his now-famous 2-part observation that effective traffic leadership is both decisive-- and non-bullying--at the same time.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 02:40
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

OK, ride the subway in your underpants but is it necessary to then go book shopping that way? :-)

The sports club and street car info is very interesting.

Jenny, I am definitely not cold. Feet are fine and I've been walking with my coat mostly unzipped. I should shut up. I am sure the weather will have the last laugh.

9. Re: Questions about things I've seen.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18