We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Qatar
Level Contributor
174 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

What are my driving options going from NY to Pittsburgh? What car rental can I check on online to make reservations for a one way trip ( car drop in Pittsburgh). Do the cars usually have a GPS I can use?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Check out the major rental companies: Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, Enterprise, Budget among a few others.

I don't know which, if any, rental companies or grades of vehicle have GPS as standard but every one will offer it as an option.

Be sure to fully understand what is and isn't included in the cost. The Road Trips forum gets a lot of members complaining that they've been scammed only for us to find out that really they just didn't know their deal. Not saying that's you for a moment. Keep a particular eye on one-way fees which could be quite a large.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Kayak.com is good for comparing rental car prices. Be sure you click the "different location" button to see one-way options. Most rental car agencies have GPS available for a fee. Rates generally do not include insurance and other fees.

When are you making this trip? If in winter, the possibility of wintry road conditions is a factor.

Have you considered flying? Or train? Amtrak has a train that runs from NYC to Pittsburgh (only once a day), and a couple of other options one with connection through Philadelphia or DC

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Amtrak has a train from New York Penn Station to Pittsburgh.

You can check car rental rates on kayak www.kayak.com

If you're looking to save money, check New York, NY (non-airport) and check the airports. Sometimes you'll get much better rates picking up in Jersey City NJ or Manhattan and return to downtown Pittsburgh. Other times you'll get the best rates picking up at JFK Airport and returning to Pittsburgh Airport - it varies.

Qatar
Level Contributor
174 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Thanks for all the replies.

Trip is right after 4th of July...exactly July 5th. Will also consider the train option since I saw that the time difference is about an hour to an hour and a half.

I was looking at flight options for a one-way trip but saw rates between $250 to $350. Are these typical rates? Also, some have connecting flights from Chicago with about 45 minute allowance for transfers. I'm not sure if that is enough to navigate the airport and security.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,175 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Amtrak would be your best bet.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Driving from NYC to Pittsburgh can be a nightmare. What looks like a few hours on paper can turn messy if I-80 gets backed up because of an accident or a ball game. I would strongly advise taking the train, which is comfy, and you can enjoy seeing the sights outside your window.

Since the food on American trains is abysmal, I would suggest packing your own lunch. Just bring some food and snacks that you really like, perhaps ones that you picked up while walking around NYC.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Oh- and Cinnabon at Penn Station New York is awesome. You can also get yummy things for the train at Jamba Juice, Zaro's, Moe's, Au Bon Pain, Starbucks and so on. I'm assuming you aren't strictly halal, of course. If you are, I can offer other advice.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 05:13
Qatar
Level Contributor
174 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Thanks Micheleyverse!

Driving isn't a real option then.

As for the train, any issues with luggages? I'm coming from an international trip so I'd probably be carrying a big luggage (I'll measure if it's 62in. in dimension later). But where do you store this on the train?

Otherwise,I'm also looking at a flight from NY to Pit and getting $160/person with a 1h 26m layover in Philadelphia (PHL). Since we have to luggages and are not familiar with th eairport, is that enough time for the transfer?

It seems I'll be spending almost the same time using the train and flying in any case as we need to be at the airport an hour and a half before flight plus getting out. Am I correct in this?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Of course driving is a real option. It's just not shared by the very few people you've had reply to your thread. Doesn't mean any of them are right.

You have to consider all the factors and decide what's best for you.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: rent a car from NY to Pittsburgh

Your luggage will not be a problem on an Amtrak train. You don't check your luggage, but you can carry it on and store it in the large racks above the seats or in alcoves at the ends of the cars. If you are traveling with large bags, ask a redcap to assist you -- you can preboard the train -- give an appropriate tip.

I've driven between Pittsburgh and New York a number of times, and I've taken the train between Pittsburgh and New York a number of times. If I don't want or need a car at my destination, I take the train. If there's no threat of bad weather conditions, and I want to make stops along the way, I drive. But I'm familiar with the route and I don't need to rent a car.

A friend of mine and I were once heading to New York from Pittsburgh at about the same time. She took the train; I had a plane ticket. My flight was delayed; she got to our destination first.