We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday in New York

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
30th birthday in New York

Looking for some help please.

I am travelling from Scotland to New York in May for 5 nights with my

husband for my 30th birthday and looking for some suggestions what to

do both day and night. I thought about going shopping during the day

(any suggestions where?) and hopefully treat myself to something nice

and possibly a dinner cruise at night but not sure if it will be a

slightly older crowd of people? Not that this is a problem. Just

wondered if it would be suitable for our age. I will be doing all the

sight seeing things whilst there and also want to see wicked and take

a picnic in Central Park. Famous fat dave tour has also been

recommended which sounds great as we both like our food. Any help and

tips along the way would be great.

Thanks

Lisa

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th birthday in New York

For shopping have a wander down/up Fifth Avenue, Macy's dept store on 34th st, Soho for boutique shopping for starters.lots of shopping options.

Sorry cant help with dinner cruise.

Enjoy your trip.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,843 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th birthday in New York

Consumerism is our real religion, so there are shopping opportunities everywhere. Recommendations will depend on what you are looking to shop for.

For Wicked, you will want to check the availability of tickets for your dates and consider booking in advance. www.wickedthemusical.com/broadway-tickets

http://www.bateauxnewyork.com/ is mentioned by respected posters here as a nice dinner cruise choice.

A frequent poster here has a food blog with many interesting dining ideas: http://eatingwithziggy.com/

As for sightseeing, make a list of what you know you want to see and plot them on a map for sort of a rough guide. Some things will fall naturally into a days plan. People can then help you find other interesting things to do.

Also read the "how to ride the subway" FAQ (link at upper right) for a great orientation on how to get around

Edited: 14 January 2014, 01:39
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th birthday in New York

Hi, we're going to ny in April for my 30th too, can't wait. We've been before but still have places too see. We arrive on a sat and might just stay around time square and 5th avenue, we want to go madam tussauds and I'd love to see rock of ages. Sunday we'll catch an early bus to Woodbury Common. I'll be awake early in the mornings I'm not too good with the time difference, so early Monday morning we plan on going to the top of the rock. We will go to the top of the strand for a birthday drink in the evening, before a nice dinner. We want to visit Greenwich village, soho, meat packing district, Central Park and check out the high line. We'll fit it all in, we're not ones that normally work from an itinery so we'll pencil in the main bits we want done and fit the rest in around. Enjoy!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th birthday in New York

you can get discounts on the bateaux cruises at goldstar.com

New York
Level Contributor
569 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30th birthday in New York

i tend to do theme restaurants for my birthdays. one of the places i went to was Ninja. it was a fun experience.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30th birthday in New York

Cafe Wha could be fun one night.

7. Re: 30th birthday in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18