We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

Hello!

We'll be in NYC in February, flying in on a thursday night and leaving on Sunday afternoon. We have been before but there's a few touristy things I have never done that we might do, and some definite things we'll do.

I had a few questions:

1. Transport to times square from LGA - the car service my company uses for work has quote me $75 each way - is this reasonable, or is there another service you recommend to get into times square and to LGA from Times Square:

2. Going to see Kinky Boots - any suggestions on where to sit (planning to pay for premium tix and sit on second row, but I know sometimes sitting to close isn't the best, depending on show). Is there a broadyway seat review site, like theatremonkey in the UK?

3. Late night Thursday PM Dinner? We land around 9pm in LGA, so won't get to hotel till pretty late - any recommendations for late night GOOD food somewhere near Renaissance Times Square?

4. Planning to do Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty - whether pending - any suggestions around this, when to go, pre-planning/tickets?

I am sure there will be other questions but thats it for now :)

PL

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

1. I would just get a cab - $75 seems high. Which company is that?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,075 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

1) A yellow cab will be much more reasonable. Just go to the taxi dispatcher line outside the terminal. Ignore any touts.

3) Head towards 9th Avenue for a variety of choices in good local restaurants eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

4) ESB is open until 2 a.m. so you have a wide variety of choices on when to go. http://www.esbnyc.com/buy_tickets.asp (Un-timed tickets can be purchased in advance, but there are still security/elevator lines, length of which varies by time of day.)

SOL tickets must be purchased in advance. There is airport style security and adult ID's must match the reservations. Official ticket seller here: http://www.statuecruises.com/

Edited: 14 January 2014, 15:35
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

1) that price likely includes meet and greet where the driver waits inside. Unnecessary really.

Dial7.com

Will ask you to phone when you're ready to leave and tell you where to meet the car. Or just take a yellow NYC taxi for about &35-45

2) why second row? I either like sitting in the first row or something like 5-7th. There is a website with seat recos but I have to remeber it.;)

3) WHERE exactly are you staying and what kind of food/place? Good can be great pizza or Mexican or fancy.

4) you should buy ESB in advance online. Unless you plan on going to Ellis Island, I think going Ato the statue is a time consuming endeavor for a weekend vsiit. But if you go

Statuecruises.com

Your oth option is to cruise past it.

Nywatertaxi.com

Has a statue express..there are nicer cruises with brunch etc.

Bateauxnewyork.com

Sail-ny.com

Goldstar.com

Sometimes has discounts on cruises.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

Here's the website. Click seating recos

entertainment-link.com/broadway-theaters.asp

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

I was on the 3rd row, left orchestra, aisle seat for Kinky Boots and it was an awesome seat. I paid full price but it was not a Premium.

If you're really packing lightly like your handle says, I'd suggest public transportation to/from LGA. Take the airport express Q70 bus that takes you straight to the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt subway station where you can take a 7 train to 42nd St/Times Square, or E train to Port Authority/42nd St, whichever is closest to your hotel.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

Thanks everyone! I had gotten a quote from quality limo, only because I use them for business travel when I am in NY, but I think we'll go with the yellow taxis and save some $$..

Any Thurs night suggestions for sushi/drinks or tapas close to times square?

Kinky Boots - I asked about second row because thats all that seems to be left for the days we can go to the show - but based on these responses and the seat review site, sounds like that should be fine - i know sometimes being up close is not ideal, depending on how the stage is arranged.

I think we'll just do ESB this time around - seems like an easy thing to do and we dont want the whole trip to be scheduled - we have lots of times we can choose to go there.

And yes - we will be packing lightly for this trip :)

Thanks!

PL

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

ESB is not an easy thing to do. Unless you go late at night, lines can be long. If you really want to go, buy your tickets online in advance (they're not timed or dated and are good for I think 6 months). Top of the Rock is easier, faster and most say nicer and has the added benefit of getting you a view OF ESB. It's also closer to your hotel.

For sushi, Sake Bar Haji is around the corner from the Renaissance and open late.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/sake-bar-hagi/

http://goo.gl/maps/9h3th

The lounge in your hotel has a nice view of Times Square and the food is pasable.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

I should have made clear, by buying ESB tix online, you avoid the ticket buyers line but there's still a line for the elevator/security. Avoid the touts on the street.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

I bought a ticket for The Nance this spring & the box office asked if I minded the 1st row. Since I've been an usher, I am not at all picky about where I sit so I said, I'll take the ticket. When I got into the theater, I realised that my knees were touching the end of the stage & my eyes were just about at the level of the deck of the stage. I had a stiff neck coming out of the show but thoroughly enjoyed being close enough to Nathan Lane to touch him.

However, I would never by premium tickets much less ones that close. However, that is me &, as I always say - Chacon a son gout! (To each his own.)

10. Re: 3 Day Weekend in February - LGA Transport, Kinky Boots, Etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20