We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York tourist attraction passes

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New York tourist attraction passes

Hi, my boyfriend and I are heading to NYC and we're not sure about which tourist pass to buy. We're going for four nights and want to do a bit of everything including: Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty (crown), Rockefeller, Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Natural History Museum, Broadway, a comedy gig....topped off with some shopping :)

Obviously some of these attractions are free and we've already got our broadway tickets, but we're not sure which pass is the best value for money. And also costs us the least time waiting in queues. We noticed that some passes included hop on bus tours. Is it best to get a pass that includes this?

Any suggestions?

Thank so much in advance :)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New York tourist attraction passes

Most regular responders eschew the "PASSES" and recco do-it-yourself touring. Most of the passes have you running around, sometimes to attractions you really have no interest in, just to get the value of the pass. Also, queue jumping is not that realistic as they advertise.

Check what you REALLY want to see and compare pricing.

HOHO buses, in the winter are not that conducive to sightseeing if weather conditions keep you from the top deck.

But, it's your choice, just giving my opinion, I'm sure you'll do whatever you wish, as many do.

Poppa

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York tourist attraction passes

http://www.citypass.com/new-york

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York tourist attraction passes

I have used the CityPASS (link above) twice and thought it was perfectly fine and very convenient. Everything included was on my to-do list both times as I was visiting with different people and with the AUD-USD exchange rate at the time it ended up saving us money when we compared the cost at the time of purchasing the pass vs the cost of the attractions at the time of visit ;)

However I had 2 weeks in NYC then 10 days in NYC so I had plenty of time to visit the included attractions as well as visit / explore / do many other things without feeling rushed.

No pass gives you access to the Statue of Liberty Crown, you need to purchase those tickets on their own (http://www.statuecruises.com/). If you use a pass for the SoL you don't get a timed ferry either, you just have to wait until one has room for you to get on.

A pass allows you to skip the ticket purchase line at the ESB but you still need to line up at security.

Obviously Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge are free.

With any of the passes, check the individual cost of the attractions you want to do and compare that to the cost of the pass that will include them. Be realistic as to how much you can actually fit in properly and then make your decision.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 00:17
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York tourist attraction passes

we are heading to NY on the 25th of this month for 8 days and at first we looked at getting the newyork pass with the HOHO tours included as we wanted to see as much as possible. However, after getting advice from the board we have decided to leave this and make our way round with a metro card instead of using HOHO tours.

So then we looked at the citypass and the explorer pass. We totalled up what we wanted to visit (as some of them are free of charge) however it still worked out cheaper to purchase a pass as we wanted to visit:

TOTR

Empire State

SOL

The Met

Guggenheim

MoMa

Statue by Night Cruise

9/11 tour

we ended up choosing the explorer pass as you can choose how many sites you want to visit from a list of about 50 which include tours from HOHO buses.. we chose the 10 attractions as we want to see as much as possible whereas the citypass you have a choice of 6 and have to choose between certain attractions that we wanted to both do.

Your best bet.. is to make a list of all the attractions you want to visit and a sort of intienary so you now how many attractions you can visit.. or budget....go to their individual pages and work out how much each entry is, then from there decided which is your best option from the passes as they suir different people..

http://www.citypass.com/new-york

smartdestinations.com/new-york-attractions-a…

Hope this helps :) enjoy your holdiay!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York tourist attraction passes

Thanks for all of your helpful comments :)

6. Re: New York tourist attraction passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:20