We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Gilwern, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
We have to cancel our holiday :-(

We were due to come out next Thursday for a week but unfortunately after 6 months of planning, we've had a family death and the funeral is right in the middle of our holiday.

I'm hoping to rebook tomorrow (work permitting) for us to come in 2 weeks time.

Loosing the money isn't an issue, we can't miss this funeral. Has anyone ever cancelled and rebooked a trip with Virgin before? Do we have to reside ourselves to loosing the full amount?

Kelly :-(

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

my condolances ....

I have a feeling virgin maybe forthcoming .... I take it you have no travel insurance?

Gilwern, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

It's not a direct family member. Rather someone who was as good as my husbands father without the DNA. I've a feeling the holiday insurance won't cover this as technically, he's just a friend.

Maybe phone virgin tomorrow and explain?

X

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Phone Virgin. You may be able to at least not lose the value of what you have spent, and apply it towards another booking. It's low season for NYC travel.

If the hotel reservations were non-refundable (based on the hotel rules), then in all likelihood that is gone.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

I always think - call, explain and see what they say. You may get someone who is willing to work with you.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Yes, by all means, do

I must admit I've taken to mailing rather then phoning. Lots of people wouldn't agree on it, but I always have the feeling it gives the other party to think on the matter and maybe consult others ... could work either way, I guess ...

Make sure you stress the importance of this person to you and your partner ...

I'll think of you

Gilwern, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Thanks x x

I'm reading the online terms and conditions but it's all a bit blurry! :-(

I think it says we can change our dates so long as the hotel has availability for an administration cost of £70 plus any additional costs for the hotel if the price has fluctuated.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow we'll have a new holiday date x x

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

So sorry to hear this Kelly fingers crossed for you that you get it sorted

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

yes, let it be for tonight, you can't do anything about it anyway and probably not think clearly either ...

contact both the hotel and Virgin tomorrow and let them know ....

take care

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

If they won't refund you will be able to rebook for a later date. They will charge you a date change fee but the tickets valid for 12 months so just reschedule if you can't get a full refund.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

They will likely charge the administrative fee (that's not the end of the world) and there's always the chance of slightly higher hotel rates or airfare but if you can be a bit flexible, that may work to your advantage.

January 31 - February 3 is Super Bowl time. The actual Super Bowl is Sunday February 2nd. This is the first time the Super Bowl will be in the NYC Metro Area and I've heard that the higher-end hotels have been sold out or charging exorbitant rates for a while now. I think you'd be best advised to avoid that weekend unless you're staying at super low budget hotels where the corporate clientele wouldn't be staying. But if you're looking at something like a Hilton / Hyatt / Marriott, I suspect that weekend may pose a problem.