We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Gilwern, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
We have to cancel our holiday :-(

We were due to come out next Thursday for a week but unfortunately after 6 months of planning, we've had a family death and the funeral is right in the middle of our holiday.

I'm hoping to rebook tomorrow (work permitting) for us to come in 2 weeks time.

Loosing the money isn't an issue, we can't miss this funeral. Has anyone ever cancelled and rebooked a trip with Virgin before? Do we have to reside ourselves to loosing the full amount?

Kelly :-(

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

I agree with Bridgetjones!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

I am so sorry for your loss and for the fact that Virgin were not helpful.

I agree that you should call them back and ask to speak to a supervisor, not just the person who you first get in the call centre. A supervisor will have powers to make concessions, a call centre person will just spew whatever their manual tells them to say.

Gilwern, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

I've spoken to the floor supervisor, office supervisor and then finally the manager. They all say the same thing. Cancel in under 7 days and receive no money back.

They wouldn't move the dates, move the flights, change our hotel or do anything.

They said that they have paid the money to the airline/hotel and to refund us would cost them money. So hard luck.

All very sad. Put a massive damper on the trip a already :-(

Incidentally, I just managed to find a bargain on British airways website. Everything we had before with an upgrade, two weeks later for £600 cheaper!

K x

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

That's a shame!!

Make sure they are aware of you sharing your experience with them on this board! This does not vote well for Virgin and I'm sure they're boss would not condone this!!!

Shame on YOu, Virgin Air

Gilwern, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

It's they're loss.

We've lost 2 grand, but they've lost a lot more in future holiday sales from us.

Even got told that it was inconvenient that we didn't loose our beloved gent a day earlier, as then we would have fallen into the next category of cancellation and only been charged 90%.

There we are then everyone, try and ensure your loved ones go to heaven at least 8 days before your planned virgin holiday and you'll get a 10% payback.

That's for all your condolences. It's very lovely of you.

I'm just sounding off. The truth if the matter is New York will still be there next month, we only have one chance to say goodbye x x

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,033 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Virgin, like all airlines has their list of guidelines and, if a reason does not fall into those guidelines, the customer service representative is most likely going to adhere to their rules. I don't really blame them for that - I don't think it is fair, but I have read about people who lie to get refunds or make changes not normally allowed - and, no, I am not in any way suggesting that is what the OP is doing; just that the airline reps don't know.

For example as to how diligent airlines are, when you have to cancel or change for a serious illness/death of someone in the immediate family, you have to provide evidence to them - I have gone through this a few times.

Supervisors are your best bet. Reps without that authority can get into a lot of trouble by breaking their rules - so, talking to someone in authority is really best bet. I even sent, one time, a letter (a plea) to one of the executives at the business office of an airline here in NYC outlining my predicament and was almost immediately contacted and informed I would be refunded.

You just never know what someone might do and you should not give up after just one phone. No guarantees you will get a different outcome, but who knows.

On top of suffering your loss, having to deal with this is really such a shame. Especially since you wanted to rebook.

Good luck -

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Okay just one last idea.

I had a few travel dramas during the Icelandic volcano eruptions. Was due to fly to UK both times exactly one year apart. I had all kinds of non refundable hotel bookings and I really did well on getting credits with them to be used later.

You know the hotel name, and must have a booking number. Give the hotel a call and explain your situation and ask if you can get a credit for a later date. They have been paid for your room already.

Worth a try.

I know you must be very stressed already, so this probably seems like a long shot, but I had amazing results from this tactic. Most hotels want to help. Virgin has already made it's money and cannot be bothered to help when they could.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,033 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Wow - I'm sorry you got such a response from Virgin representative about the death of your loved one.

Someone who would say something so crass is not someone I would allow to be the last word on getting some resolution from Virgin - obviously, up to you, but I'd not let 2000 go with just one conversation - and, especially with someone like that.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,086 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

"Even got told that it was inconvenient that we didn't lose our beloved gent a day earlier"

I know the US is a more service oriented place, but geez, a response like that here would merit disciplinary action for the agent.

DO contact a supervisor or an executive and also complain about the insensitive treatment.

And remind them they have not only lost your future business, but possibly that of all the friends family and acquaintances you tell. (Not the kind of story they'd like showing up in social media.)

virgin-atlantic.com/us/…customer-service.html

Head office phone # here: virgin-atlantic.com/en/…phone.jsp

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,690 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: We have to cancel our holiday :-(

Condolences for your loss. That is really a bummer with Virgin. UMM, next time I'll ask someone to die to fit your schedule!! ( IDIOTS) I believe, check on the Air Travel Forum, that you are entitled to get back the tax paid on an unused ticket. Don't know how much it would be but sometimes it is substantial. I guess they forgot to tell you that!! (but I bet they would not forget to NOT send those funds to the taxing authority)