We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to layer your legs?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to layer your legs?

I know... stupid question right? I got my torso covered with thermals, long sleeve shirts, etc. But what about my legs? I'm going to be wearing jeans... but what (other than boxer briefs) do I wear to keep my legs warm?

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to layer your legs?

Leggings - my other half works outside most of the time and you'd be surprised how many burley builders wear leggings on woolly tights in the winter!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to layer your legs?

You can get thermal bottoms. Century 21 or one of the sporting goods stores will have them.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to layer your legs?

We bought ours at Uniqlo last year and they were fantastic. Made such a difference.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to layer your legs?

In a pinch, you could get some large sized women's tights or leggings, but then you'll see see what girls have to go through when they have to pee! ;-)

Stamford...
Level Contributor
826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to layer your legs?

Unless I'm spending the whole day outdoors, I don't layer my legs. Jeans, warm jacket, gloves, hat, warm footwear. If I'm going to a football game or something where I'll be outside the whole day and not moving around, then I wear thermals.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to layer your legs?

Assuming you are opposed to tights... ;)

You can pick up a base layer at most sporting goods stores or ski supply shops. (Like Dicks, Cabelas or REI)

It's one of the best excuses you'll ever have to buy yourself silk underwear (although other fibers can be fine too.) cabelas.com/category/…104039280.uts

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to layer your legs?

I wore long johns on my recent visit & they were perfect for the Baltic conditions last week

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,322 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to layer your legs?

Yes, it really depends on how cold it's going to get and what kind of activities you have planned. For a regular day of moving around town sightseeing I can't see layering up the legs, really. Unless maybe it was some kind of total arctic blast thing with a zero wind chill or something.

Otherwise you're moving around all day from subway to restaurant to museum or whatever and your legs should be fine.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to layer your legs?

Also, I find most indoor places to be overheated. So while it would be easy to remove a sweater, if your legs are hot that would be much more problematic. I wear double socks (two thinner pairs), I find having warm feet helps everything else stay warm.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to layer your legs?

It isnt that cold outside, Its pretty warm out

It was only really cold for 2 days