We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Time has come again to start planning my next trip to my favourite place. It's my fourth year running so trying to find new spots. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on some of the things I plan on seeing this year and if they are worth it. Below is some of what I am thinking of;

Brooklyn Brewery (lived in Greenpoint last year for a while and never went!)

Museum of American Finance

Irish Baseball Hall of Fame (just to see more about the Irish baseball players)

Cathedral of Saint John the Divine

St. Paul’s Cathedral

Irish Hunger Memorial

Skyscraper Museum

Tenement Museum

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Its St Paul's Chapel - definitely worth a visit. So is St Patrick's Cathedral. Is that the one you meant?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Sorry I meant St. Paul's Chapel was trying to type it as fast as I could wasn't thinking straight!

I've seen St. Patrick's the first year I went and last year but they were doing some work on it then, but would definitely like to see it when they are done if by the time I am there, beautiful place.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Have you done the Federal reserve tour? I think it is free to do self tour. If you are in the area and you are interested then it's maybe worth booking an appointment there too. I hadn't heard of the museum of America Finance before so we will put it on our list for next time. Reviews on it look very good. I assume you have looked at the attraction reviews on Tripadvisor?

Maybe some sports events or a concert?

the intrepid museum, Concorde and space shuttle exhibits?

We have been going to NYC for over 20 years once or twice a year and still have loads to see.

Sorry I can't be more help to you.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

I have been to the Museum of American Finance and it wasn't bad. I wouldn't travel the length of Manhattan to go to it, but if you are in the Wall Street area it's a good diversion. I remember an exhibit on the traders on the Commodities Floor.

I have also been to the Skyscraper Museum. If I remember correctly, there wasn't too much to it, but it did have some great pictures of the construction of the World Trade Center back in the 60's.

Thinking about it, if you put those two museums together with the Hunger Memorial, its a good way to see lower Manhattan. Stop in to Mudville 9 for some beer and wings.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Thanks alot guys, more than helpful.

I had actually forgotten about the Intreped Museum, I had intended to go last year but by the time I got there the line was crazy so I chickened out. This year I will give it another try and get there early!!

I have heard about the Federal Reserve Tour but have not done it yet. I heard good things about it, that would definitely work with the rest of the Lower Manhattan sights.

I am also going to Tampa before New York so I will definitely either take in a Rays or Yankees game. I would at least like to take a tour of the stadium and see some of the Bronx. Haven't spent too much time there yet so maybe that could take up a morning/afternoon?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

I love the Tenement Museum - it's very engaging and interesting. Highly recommended!! I'd advise reserving your tour in advance because they tend to fill up.

The Cathedral of St. John the Divine is lovely, but it's up in Morningside Heights, so probably out of your way. If you're going up there anyway...to see Columbia University, Grant's Tomb, etc...then it should probably be one of your stops. The last time I was there, though, they had made it nearly impossible to enter without giving a donation. They'd actually set up ticket booths like it was a museum rather than a church, and this didn't sit well with me. That was nearly 2 years ago, though, so maybe they've backed off on that. I hope they have!!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Any place is 'worth it' if you have an interest in its content etc...

Some of the venues you list have no admission fee, so in that sense they may be worth it.

Do some research on other sights to see; if they fit into your area of curiosity to visit, check them out.

Poppa

New York City
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

If you have time everything is worth a visit, what generally bothers me is high admission costs and low value.

Therefore I think the WORST attraction in NYC is Madame Toussoude, not because its nessasairly lousy, but with a $35 admission, Its totally not worth it. For $10 Id feel differnt

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Frangipani...re St. John's ..the entry was like that one year ago too....

And yes to the Tenement Museum...it is really interesting....including the 30 minute film they have showing on continuous loop and the wonderful bookstore

Edited: 17 January 2014, 19:12
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Are these places worth a visit? (July 2014)

Thanks for all the suggestions cant wait to get back to my second home again!

Just looking at the Yankees schedule and they are on the road when im in New York so will go to a Rays game instead. I think I will go to the Bronx for a few hours anyway and go the stadium and maybe the zoo.