We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

COLD next week

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
COLD next week

Just my luck, it's been in the 40's but will dip down to the 20's next week on my vacation. How uncomortable will that make walking around and sighseeing? I have a walking tour on Tuesday and I know they won't cancel it... but will the cold temperature make it unbareable?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: COLD next week

Will do. That's a problem I'm having here. There's very limited clothing for cold weather over here. I bought what I think is a suitable jacket at Burlington Coat factory. But everything else is snow boarding gear. And the hoodies that they do sell here are thin.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: COLD next week

20 degrees is colder than 40 degrees for sure, but it's not COLD. Windchill can make being outdoors for long periods of time unbearable, but if it's not particularly windy, you just bundle up and go.

We recently had temps in the negative numbers and that's when I'd go wild with the all-caps COLD. 20 without a lot of wind... yeah, you'll notice it's winter but if you're bundled properly, you'll survive.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 22:28
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: COLD next week

Agree re: what Ter said about overthinking. If you consider that lots of people do just fine living in cold climates, you can embrace that possibility that it will be cold and you will be fine. You need to come to a place of: it's cold...yeah so?

If you build yourself up to think cold = intolerable, you will be prepped for misery. Instead, realize that everyone deals with this without issue.

Proper clothing allows you to do this. Layers are your friend.

Otherwise, don't come to a cold climate during winter.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: COLD next week

Yes, I'm overthinking it. Some of it is excitement and some anxiety. No worries... it'll be fun. I have a Nets game Tuesday night and Rangers game Thurs night. I'm looking foward to it.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: COLD next week

**And the hoodies that they do sell here are thin.**

-Buy a Champion hoodie when you are here. They have a lighter weight version..but get the heavier one.

-There will be vendors on just about every other corner selling hats/gloves/scarfs.

-It's easy to duck in to a store to warm up if needed.

-It will definitely take more than 20 degree weather for anything in NYC to be cancelled...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,405 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: COLD next week

It's January in NYC - you are likely to find very cold temps - sorry you are surprised by it, but it is January. the 20s don't have to be uncomfortable - for me, it is the wind that in that cold weather that makes is uncomfortable - just bundle up, which I presume you already knew was likely given the time of year here - and, you will be fine.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: COLD next week

plenty of lip balm, moisturizer, and an idea of where there's a bathroom in the vicinity you're visiting is helpful. You will be fine.....embrace the refreshing, breathtaking coldness!!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: COLD next week

Lol thanks Rassi!

19. Re: COLD next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 14:10
Edited: 19 January 2014, 14:10
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: COLD next week

Poppa.., you're a little late on the bashing. Get over it.