We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report-Hercules storm

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report-Hercules storm

I flew to New York January 2nd and was supposed to fly to Bermuda for 6 nights and after come back to New York for 4 more nights....well have you heard the saying....when you make plans God laughs....well let's just say my plans were totally changed!!

I flew to New York January 2nd and had booked through Priceline express deals the JW Marriott for 160$, plus an additional rebate of 12$ through Ebates, and was supposed to stay there only for one night. I got an email saying that Jet Blue was cancelling their flights due to Hercules storm and they were rebooking me for later...I called Jet blue and got booked for January 6th because they had nothing else. It was totally okay since my hotel in Bermuda had availabitlity. What is the coincidence is that I was stuck in New York during Hurricane Sandy and could not fly out for a couple of days. I then switched to the 6 Columbus hotel for the 3 unexpected nights in New York. They were teasing me about the fact that I was also there during Sandy and that I had now brought Hercules and the extreme cold! I am used to cold but I have to say that it was cold even if I was there before the Polar Vortex!!

I decided to make the most of my sudden change of plans and had wonderful meals at Picholine, Jean Georges, Robert, Delicatessen, Don Anthony, El Cantinero and, of course, Blue Ribbon sushi bar and grill. I bought clothes on sale at C Wonder, Black and White and Gap. I got great sales so I was very happy!!!

I then flew to Bermuda for 6 nights which ended up being 7 because Jet Blue cancelled my flight because of crew rest. I therefore called my hotel to push back my stay....once again!!!!

Since I am on sabbatical, I took everything in stride but I could feel for the people at JFK when I left on January 6th who were just itching to get back home. If some of you reading were at JFK during those days, you know what I am talking about!! I have never seen such a scene of apocalypse in an airport! The lines were going out the terminal and outside!! I saw people yelling and screaming and even crying. I was very lucky because the day before JFK had closed in the morning because a Delta plane skidded off the runway due to freezing rain and I almost did not leave on January 6th because it was very foggy...the day after Jet Blue decided to close down their operations for 17 hours. I have to say that they gave excellent service even during that crazy time. Everyone I talked with stayed calm and professional even when people were yelling at them!!!

I had a relaxing vacation in the end but it was very special indeed!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

I wondered what had happened that we hadn't heard from you. Glad to hear all went well and you found some bargains. ;) Nice to be able to roll with the punches.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

So let me get this straight...extra nights in New York...extra night in Bermuda...great meals...bargain shopping...is there a problem in here that I'm missing?? :)

And make sure you post all your future travel dates so people can change their plans to avoid being where you are at the same time!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

You want to know what is even more revolting....american express will pay me for those three nights in new york and the extra night in bermuda!! I did not know beforehand that they would reimbure me and had lunch at jean georges and dinner at picholine! Jetblue has also sent an email saying that they were reimbursing me for my ticket....lots of hassle but lots of reimbursements:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

OMG. You really hit the jackpot. How is it the Amex is reimbursing you? Inquiring minds want to know ! ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

Sounds like the day we were supposed to fly from Verona to London and that Icelandic volcano erupted and we were stuck for a week.....called the boss and said we weren't sure what was happening and then we had a great time - Venice, Padova, Vicenza, the lakes, more days in Verona....and then we had our week in London afterwards anyway. We were very lucky compared to so many who had terrible experiences and had to try to get home for work and other commitments.

So Cricri, I for one will read your future posts and check your destinations and dates of travel....

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

I also had the thought of tracking your future travel to avoid :-) But as I started reading, now I'm thinking that I need an American Express Card! Is that just because you paid using AmEx, or did you book it through their travel services? Did you pay for extra insurance, or is that a perk?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

AMEX's insurance is a perk.

Great card to have for travel......not to mention the great items that you can redeem your points for...

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,203 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

Nice.

Great that you were able to be flexible and enjoy your new adventure. LOVE that you got so much reimbursed.

Volcanoes erupt when I travel. Your thing is clearly storms.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

I have to add that my American Express card costs 500$ a year!! Not everyone wants to pay this but I don't have to take any other insurance because it covers everything!! It is a platinum Aeroplan card. It gives me Aeroplan miles for the things I buy.

I have to say that we don't get too many volcanoes in North America! One of my students at the time had to stay in Europe when the volcano in Iceland erupted...he missed a couple of days of school and everyone was interested about his travels when he finally got back.

All is well that ends well...since I was not going back to work, I did not have the pressure of not being where I was supposed to like during Hurricane Sandy where I missed 3 days more of work than I was supposed to. I have to give it to my boss that she was very understanding about the whole thing and my students were happy about getting a substitute teacher and not working as hard as they would have to if I would have been in class:)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report-Hercules storm

Ok, so you're saying my Free Gold and Free Hilton Amex cards would not work??