We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catching the subway to the Bronx...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Catching the subway to the Bronx...

On our next trip to NYC my daughter wants to go to the Bronx - I'm not too sure why, but anyway it's on her wish list. If we catch the subway what could we do when we get there? She doesn't want to go there to visit the zoo or anything, but basically to walk the streets. I think she has visions of really cool graffiti etc...Is there any places to take her that she may consider awesome?

Mentioned in this post
Bronx
Bronx
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

There's better graffitti in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. I wouldn't go to the Bronx without a destination or a reason of which there are a number besides the zoo..botanic gardens, Arthur Ave. for Italian food, a Yankee baseball game.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Queens
Queens
New York
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

Thanks nywhiz... It will be December and so no baseball at that time I believe!!! I think my daughter would be happy to catch the subway and then have her picture taken to show she'd been there and that's about it!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

Honestly, the Bronx is a BIG place. If you just want to walk, go for lunch to Arhtur Ave. and take the picture there. It's a more authentic Little Italy than the one left in Manhattan. Or go to the NY Botanic Gardens which in Dec. have a fabulous model train show.

nybg.org/exhibitions/…index.php

Mentioned in this post
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Little Italy
Little Italy
3,190 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

Thanks again nywhiz!! We might just do as you suggested....:)

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

I agree. I understand what she's looking for, but it's a creation of movie sets and not actually the real thing.

If she wants to say she's been to the Bronx, take the D train to the Fordham Road stop, BX12 bus to Arthur Avenue, go walk down Arthur Avenue, have something to eat and then head to the nearby botanical gardens if you still have time.

Mentioned in this post
Bronx
Bronx
New York
United States
Level Contributor
349 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

Another way to Arthur Avenue--a bit more expensive but more direct than subway and bus--is to take Metro-North (Harlem division) from Grand Central Terminal to the Fordham station. You are across Fordham Rd. from Arthur Avenue and right at Fordham University. As jwanderer said above, the Botanical Gardens is in walking distance. There is actually a Metro-North Station closer to the Botanical Gardens (look on the Botanical Gardens website) where you can take a train back to Manhattan, if you go the Gardens after Arthur Avenue. My spouse was at Fordham University for an evening engagement a month ago and said the Metro-North train was packed with Fordham students going from Manhattan to Fordham.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 23:23
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
4,408 Reviews
New York City, NY
Harlem
Harlem
1,058 Reviews
New York City, NY
Grand Central Terminal
Grand Central Terminal
37,095 Reviews
New York City, NY
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

Many people think of the Bronx as it was in the troubled 1970s. This is largely gone. You will not see graffiti everywhere or burning apartment buildings from the elevated subways. Be aware that the numbered trains are elevated and the lettered trains are underground---no view from them. The infamous South Bronx is the envy of many other American cities today that have large areas of abandoned buildings. Most troubled Bronx neighborhoods have been rebuilt, and while not exactly middle income, are alive and well. The West Bronx has an important collection of Art Deco apartment buildings, especially along the Grand Concourse. Except for the zoo and the adjoining botanical garden, the Bronx does not have a great deal to offer tourists with limited time.

Mentioned in this post
Bronx
Bronx
New York
8. Re: Catching the subway to the Bronx...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19