We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

Wageningen, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

I would like to know whether it is worthwhile to visit the Statue of Liberty island and maybe even walk up to the crown? I have been reading about long waiting lines and reservations far ahead. Will an actual visit add to just passing on the ferry and see the Statue from the water? We are not American, so besides the fact that it is an iconic statue, it has no patriottic value to us. I would like to hear experiences.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,871 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

Personally, I think one is a view and one you are actually there, up close and personal. THe ferry to the Statue also stops at Ellis Island. That too is a very interesting place to visit. Bottom line however, there is no right or wrong. It is 100% a matter of personal opinion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,337 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

If you actually visit the statue, you also have the opportunity, for the same price, to go to Ellis Island, the immigration museum. If this holds no interest for you, then maybe just going on a cruise is enough. When are you visiting? Time of year/weather is also a factor. Climbing to the crown when it's very hot or very cold is not necessarily pleasant.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

As you probably know, Manhattan is filled with monuments to our Netherlands history, which might interest you more than our long relationship with France. Although the ferry is a great ride, you might also settle for the view from Battery Park if you end up without enough time. But you might even find a few things to do at the Staten Island end of the trip.

Another way to get a closer view of the statue (not as cheaply as the more distant ferry view) is to sign up for a day-sail or cocktail cruise from a place like Chelsea Piers. Even in warm parts of the year, I've seen these on the Goldstar discount site (firm date and time, prepaid required.) I haven't been yet (and it still sounds like a big time commitment ... ) was a little note in the Times about a floating bar in the harbor:

nytimes.com/2013/…

Edited: 19 January 2014, 17:42
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

+1 for visiting up close and personal! The view from the ferry is not that good IMO, you might as well stay on Manhattan ... and the statuecruise is not at all costly, you won't regret

Wageningen, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

Thanks, we are there in May. For a whole week, but it is our first time in NY, so it is hard to choose between all this must-see's...

Nashville, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

There are no long waiting lines, go to the statue of liberty and take some great photos. You will not take great photos inside the ferry.

The only reason for not walking around the statue of liberty is if that day is too cold, but I think that right now the weather is better, I say this because when I go everything around the statue of liberty has snow and the floor was too cold, even with that weather I enjoy being there.

You have to take tickets to go to the crown search google for that, you will need to print the tickets some days before you go.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

there is airport type securty so Im not sure what the previous poster is talking about

you would need to get tickets from statuecruises.com if you want to go to the islands

personally the staten island ferry got me close enough

London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

If you decide to go you should to get your tickets as soon as they go on sale. http://www.statuecruises.com/. Ellis island has little to offer and is a waste of valuable time, in my opinion. If you get on the first boat at 9:00am with a crown ticket for SoL you can be back in Manhattan by 11 ish. So it's not a massive chunk out of your day, it doesn't cost much and at least you can say you've been up it.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

do visit here as well:

forum.allesamerika.com/viewforum.php?f=9

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Statue of Liberty or just view it from the ferry?

Thanks RoyaOperaMouse, I was wondering if I got the 9am ferry to SOL what time I would be back to manhattan, you saved me having to ask the question :)