We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

1 post
Save Topic
Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

Hi, thanks for reading. We are coming to New York in May 2014 just the two of us, no guests to get married. We already have our flights and hotel booked. We have booked for 4 days and I'm beginning to worry that we are going to spend all our time in licence offices with no time to sight see! We've been really laid back about the plans and now we've started and I've seen what's involved or how little we know...well I'm panicking frankly! Any help anyone can give would be hugely appreciated.

Questions currently are. Where in Central Park would be nice for just two people getting married? People talk about paying for a permit to get married in the park? Does someone there marry you? God I sound thick, or do we bring someone with us to the park to marry us? Who? And where can we contact them?

Where would be nice to go afterwards for a meal?

After the meal we thought we would go for a horse and cartridge ride in the park. Do they still do those?

Not sure what to do with the rest of he day. Any ideas?? There must be loads it's New York! Bearing in mind I'll be in my wedding dress but relatively comfy shoes :-)

Please help if you can.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

im not a fan of the carriage rides

if you use the search function there is a LOT of useful info

Good luck!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

katiejanephoto.com/2012/…

centralpark.com/guide/weddings/top-12-weddin…

Congratulations!

Edited: 20 January 2014, 02:26
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

Did you check the Top Questions over to the right of the posts on this page? About half way down there's info on how to get married in NYC. If you click on it, there's this:

A guide to getting married in NYC

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

You will be in Central Park, Consider having your lunch-early dinner at the Boathouse restaurant.

centralparknyc.org/visit/…loeb-boathouse.html

Instead of or in addition to the carriage, consider having a gondola ride in the lake if they are operating (see above).

Consider choosing interesting places in the park for part of your afternoon. http://www.centralpark.com/maps/group/maps

(You may want to limit this because you will be in your wedding dress and walking around won't be as easy as it might otherwise be.)

One thing you might do is bring other clothes, change after the ceremony at the Sherry-Netherland or the Pierre (5th Avenue between 59th and 61st Sts.), check your wedding dress there, spend your afternoon in or near Central Park, and pick up your gown after the afternoon.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 02:41
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

You might eat at the Boathouse right in Central Park -

http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com

Depending on your budget, you could go to The River Cafe:

http://www.rivercafe.com

Great views of the city from just across the river under the Brooklyn Bridge - you could just take a taxi there instead of the subway in your finery.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

Sorry that TA wouldn't let me show you a rainy day alternative wedding in a great place - Grand Central. Visit it while you are here.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

The mayor of NYC has said he will abolish carriage rides but it is a political hot topic so no idea when or if this will happen.

8. Re: Just the two of us New York May 2014 - advice needed PLEASE!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:19