We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

Norwich
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

Visiting for 8 days from 25/1 to 1/2.

Due to a change in work commitments I am now able to join my friends on a trip to NYC (yeah), but whilst I managed to book into the same hotel, the rate for breakfast was ludicrously expensive at over four times the price my friends had paid. I felt sure I could find a cheaper, more varied and better alternative nearby, so would appreciate any suggestions for breakfast near 55th Street, 7th Avenue.

Would like to try to watch a sporting event, open to suggestions as would like to go as much for the atmosphere as the game itself. What would be the best way to go about getting tickets , or is it too late to get anything organised with a limited budget c.$100.

Which is the best tour at the Tenement Museum, am very interested in social history, the way people lived their lives on a daily basis.

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

Sport options are basketball(NBA), hockey(NHL), college basketball(NCAA) and boxing.

If I had to choose..I would go to a NBA or NHL game. I am a boxing fan...but you may not be. You can still get tickets depending on your date.

Take a look at the schedules for:

NY Knicks and Brooklyn Nets(NBA)

NY Islanders/NY Rangers/NJ Devils(NHL)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

For the Tenement Museum you can choose the tour by the date and time you want to go there. It's best to buy the tickets in advance because the groups are small and often get sold out.

www.tenement.org/

New York's Tenement Museum focuses on America's urban immigrant history.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

I have done two of the tours at the Tenement Museum. We did the Hard Times tour first and I think that's a very good tour for a first one.

The second time we did the Shop Life tour and while it was very good I don't think it would be a great FIRST tour as it assumes a bit of knowledge. (If you do do, also visit the beautiful Eldgridge Street Synagogue afterwards and do a tour. We did this and were very chuffed to hear one of the Shop Life stories from a different perspective - what a coincidence).

Back to the Tenement Museum - I would also recommend that you allow some time to visit the shop and watch the movie they have on continuous loop. The film lasts for 1/2 an hour and you don't really need to be there 'at the start'....

We gave ourselves an hour before our tour to do both these things and are very glad we did.

The second time we enjoyed the shop again and this time saw that the film was available to buy on DVD so we bought that ...what a great momento.

Finally, after our first visit to the Tenement Museum, we enjoyed visiting Di Palo's afterwards. One of the decedents of the original owners was on the film and it's sort of around the corner on Grand Street. There's another shop mentioned in the film that is across the road from Di Palo's ...sells cakes and icecreams...sorry cannot remember the name.

Have a great holiday.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 23:25
Norwich
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

Thanks, just booked tickets for the New York Rangers vs New York Islanders.

Thanks for the detailed reply Jenny, think we'll book the Hard Times tour, haven't decided which day yet as weather is looking pretty variable for next week.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 21:17
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

Fluffy's Cafe and Evergreen Diner are the best nearby sitdown breakfast options. Look on

Menupages.com

In the west 50's for other options.

6. Re: Breakfast, Sport and the Tenement Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:20