We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Broadway experience to remember

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
A Broadway experience to remember

I thought I would share my unique & 1st experience at Broadway!

So this was my 1st time going to Broadway so we stood for 1 hr & 15 min in the cold (although atmosphere was good, chatted to other tourists) at TKTS booth Times Square & were very happy to get 4 tickets 50% off for $75 each orchestra row L for Matilda

We arrived that evening & settled into our seats (which we were very happy with) & the show began.

So there we are 20 min into the show enjoying ourselves when my Gran let out a scream! A MOUSE had ran up the back of her chair & down her arm!!!

Now this may be amusing to others (as appeared to be to those around us who just shrugged it off) but myself & family members I was with all have a genuine fear of any rodents! (I was actually close to tears incase it had ended up in my open bag) Although it is easier to laugh about it now.

So we got up & complained to the bar tender who was very apologetic & said she would get the manager. However the manager did not appear only a stewardess who appeared to find the situation very amusing & ushered upstairs to seats in the upper balcony (assuring us they were the same price seat however had a very poor attitude/manner)

So there we sat for the remainder of the show with our bags on our laps & flinching at any slight movement! Therefore I must say although we did enjoy the start of the show it was very difficult to enjoy the rest & made our very much anticipated 1st Broadway show not very enjoyable.

And although in hindsight we should have requested to speak to the manager at the end we were just happy to leave at the end!

Although I do wonder is this common? Due to the attitudes of staff & others? I understand the theatre is an old building however I have attended many productions of shows in old theatres in the Uk & do not think the reaction of others would have been the same if this was to have happened in the Uk. Although I also realise the chances of this happening again must be a million/1

As I say we can laugh now so thought I'd share our Broadway experience to remember!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

The NYC mice also ride the subway.....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

eeek...(said in a very high pitched voice).

Glad you are laughing about it now.

New York
Level Contributor
921 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

I hate when theater goers look to upgrade their seats without paying for it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

It's not typical or usual and you should have spoken to the manager. They should have refunded your money.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

I wonder if the mice get 7-day unlimited passes or pay-per-ride?

Oops sorry - they are under 42" so they ride for free!

Just spoofing - I agree, should have talked with the manager and received a refund it is the least they could have done

Edited: 20 January 2014, 03:36
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
880 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

Great story. Did the scream impact the show in any way (did the actors look you way)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

At least it wasn't a rat!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,748 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

It doesn't normally happen and I agree you should have gotten your money back. Next door they are rehearsing the broadway production of Ratatouille so that could explain things

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

lol ziggy

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Broadway experience to remember

Oh my ... I am so sorry this happened to you!!

We Need a "like button" for several of the posts on this thread. : )