We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes for June-July

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes for June-July

I'll be in New York from June 22 to July 9 and am wondering what shoes I should bring for walking? The flip flops and sandals I currently own don't provide much support, so I thought if I bought something new now I should have them worn in by the time I visit.

I'm my late 20s so want something that will look good as well as be comfortable.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes for June-July

Angie, I'm a fervent walker, and if you are similar, then no flip-flop on this planet shall be able do the job adequately. Flip-flops are for the poolside only in my book. A good sandal with a good thick cushiony bottom might do the trick though providing a comfortable spring to your stroll while the air circulates freely from toe to heel.

One must separate their "walking shoes" from their "on the town" footwear providing that one does not walk so much while "on the town" at nighttime.

Last summer's trip to NYC left my feet 'a achin'. Be prepared, if you intend to stroll a lot.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes for June-July

Sneakers/runners. If you are going for nightclubs or late evening restaurants then obviously bring nice pair of shoes with you. Flip-flops not recommended unless you will walk short or going to the beach.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes for June-July

There are flip flops and sandals that provide great support. I'd try to have a few options to switch out from day to day. It gives your feet a break from whatever was rubbing or stressed the day before.

Examples of brands that have good support for walking flip flops and sandals include Teva and Merril. Those are my two favorites, but my sister has different favorites -- she has a higher arch. It's all about finding the right shoes for your foot, whether sandals or hiking boots.

It's true that you won't want minimal, flimsy quarter inch sole flip flops, but the good quality thicker sole ones can work.

Also consider bringing some sandals that are reasonably comfortable for walking around looking great for a night out, but not necessarily comfortable enough for days of "hiking" NYC.

The great thing about summer is that clothing and shoes take up less packing space! :-D

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes for June-July

You are from Australia. Bring what you would wear there in the summer/going out at night/etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes for June-July

There are substantial flip flops made by companies like Clark's, Sofft, and Merrell that offer more support. There are sandals made for walking. You want something comfortable and cute. The challenge is always finding cute and comfy. You don't want anything that pinches or creates blisters. Lots of choices out there.

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes for June-July

What about some Toms or similar? I always find them comfy. A change is as good as a rest too so bring a different second pair.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoes for June-July

There are so many different brands that you should be able to find something. It depends on how much you want to spend. I spent a lot and got some Finn Comforts for a trip to Europe. Since then I've moved to NYC and they are my go to sandals for summer. I've tried Dansko, and Naot. I like the latter better. I've got some Birkenstocks's, but must admit, I don't wear them in the city unless I'm going for the look. :)

For many testimonials and reviews go to the Rick Steves forum. www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti92.html It's Europe, but I say if it goes in Paris, it should be fine for NYC. :)

Pam

Pam

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoes for June-July

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll check out all the brands recommended and see what I can get in Australia.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoes for June-July

Angie - I suggest sensible shoes - flip-flops should be out of the question, no support and your feet will get dirty very quickly.

Don't worry about STYLE - no one cares how you look - there are a gazillion people in the City - so think practical - if you can't get what you want in AUS - NYC has lots of stores - a good option would be trainers/running shoes or something in that genre!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,494 posts
1,861 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoes for June-July

Sensible shoes or trainers if you plan to do a lot of walking.