We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

Ormskirk, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

My wife and I will be making our first visit to New York early May and I'm looking for some advice on the itinerary and places/districts to eat in the evening.

We are staying for 5 nights. Our hotel is the Marriott Marquis, in Times Square. This is what I've put together so far.

Sunday

- Land at JFK 12:40

- Explore Times Sq

- Walk to Central Park

- Eat/Sleep

Monday – DownTown

- Leave Hotel around 9am take subway

- 911 Memorial (book tickets for early entry)

- The Skyscraper Museum

- Liberty Island and Ellis Island Ferry (book tickets for around 1pm ferry)

Tuesday – Midtown West Side

- Leave Hotel around 9am

- Walk through Central Park

- Museum of Natural History

- Subway to 14 st/8th Av

- Walk the High Line

- Intrepid Museum

- Walk back to Times Sq Area

Wed - Finance District

- Leave Hotel take subway to Wall Street

- Museum of American Finance

- Federal Reserve Museum and Gold Room

- Walking Tour of Wall Street ( around 1:30pm)

- Helicopter Flight ( around 4pm)

- Subway to Times Sq

Thursday Midtown East Side

- Leave Hotel around 9am

- Rockafeller Center TOTR (Sun and Stars Ticket)

- Subway to Roovesvelt Island

- Walk down to FdrFF Park

- Tram back to Mahattan and Subway to Grand Central.

- Grand Central Terminal audio/guided tour

- Walk to Union Sq

- Walk Past Flat Iron to Times Sq

- Back to TOTR for evening after dinner

Friday - Still to plan

- Flight is around 7pm

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

The Skyscraper Museum gets mixed reviews. Unless you have a keen interest in architecture, it may not be the best choice: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d10…

The usual recommendation is to do the SOL/Ellis Island first thing in the morning as lines are usually longer in the afternoon. You might want to switch this day around.

You may not be able to get to the Intrepid museum in time on Tuesday. AMNH is huge, and even if you don't try to see it all, you are going to want to spend several hours there. They open at 10am.

By the time you finish with AMNH, get down to Highline, have lunch somewhere (either at Highline or near AMNH), you may not have a lot of time before the 5pm closing of the Intrepid Museum.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,814 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

The High Line is right near Chelsea Market (at the 16th St stairs) so you could call in there for something to eat or a coffee.

http://chelseamarket.com/

And while you are looking at the Flatiron building you are right near Madison Square Park (lovely park) and also Eataly. If you like italian food this place will be heaven to you.

http://www.eataly.com/nyc

And for a big choice in eating places near your hotel, head west to Hell's Kitchen. So many good places there, from casual and cheap to more upmarket. A couple of recommendations are in this delectable blog:

eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

Sunday - Times Square is best done at night when it is all lit up. Most shops and attractions there are open until at least 10pm, so spend your day light hours wondering through Central Park and then go to Times Square. Also Central Park is huge. So you are not wondering around aimlessly, it's a good idea to have a look at www.centrapark.org and get a rough idea of what you want to see.

Monday - Another vote for going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island first thing. The earlier you get there the better the crowds will be. You can then go to the 9/11 memorial afterwards.

Tuesday - Another vote for you having way too much packed into this day. The AMNH could easily be a day by itself and Intrepid a good half day. I'd take the Intrepid off this day and do it first thing when it opens at 10am on the Friday. You can check out early and keep your bags at the hotel until you are ready to go to the airport and be there just before 10am and spend a couple of hours there. This will still allow you a couple of hours to explore and have lunch before you have to leave for the airport.

4. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 17:34
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

You could have a meal at the Central Park Boathouse or afternoon tea at the plaza in the palm court. I also like Asiate or the Nougatine room at Jean George's. There will be plenty of restaurants close to you - also atop of your hotel is a revolving restaurant - the food gets mixed reviews but people say the view is decent.

Some of the dining spots at South Street seaport have great views if you want to go after your helicopter ride.

Over all good plans & good advice so far. Happy planning & (most importantly) have fun!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

When you are at the subway station at 14th Street and 8th Avenue...do take a few moments to look at the gorgeous sculptures by Tom Otterness

mta.info/mta/aft/permanentart/permart.html…

There's art in many subway stations, so don't forget to look for it as you move around.

…mta.info/mta/…N11802_AFTenroutemechx.pdf

There is an app too, but it doesn't say WHERE the art is at each station which I found to be a problem in the bigger stations.

Have a great holiday.

PS an alternative to Eately near the Flatiron Building is Eisenbergs.....there since 1929.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 06:45
Ormskirk, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

Thanks for the comments. I was concerned that I had too much in some days. I was actually more bothered about Thursday.

The hotel doorway is in Time Square, so there is no way to miss or avoid that. Day or Night.

I'll take the feedback on 911/SOL sequence, and the AMNH and move Intrepid to Friday morning. Thanks for those. I'm not sure how much time I'll spend at AMNH but it's always good to have some flexibility on the day.

On Sunday I'm not sure how tired we will be after travelling from the UK. I don't imagine we will venture too far into central park on that day.

Regarding the 911 memorial, is there a museum there also?

Thanks again.

Neil

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

The 9/11 museum is in its final stages. There have been a few posts about an opening date lately and I want to say its May but I cannot remember 100%. However a few of the posts said this is also speculation and it may be a little bit longer than expected, as is usually the way when things open.

You're best bet is to keep an eye out on the website

9. Re: Building my Itinerary - Any help/pointers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:19