We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on public transportation

Alabama
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Luggage on public transportation

Debating how we will get from LGA to our hotel. Had originally decided on a taxi, but seems like a bus / subway would be more economical. Question is how well does luggage travel on the buses/subways.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage on public transportation

Hey ShaneAlabama:-) Well, it all depends how big.. how much you'll be lugging;-) Bottom line, if you can readily handle your luggage.. up/down subways steps, etc., you should be good to go;-) Enjoy!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage on public transportation

Very easy. You will see people with just about everything on the NYC subways. No one will give you a 2nd look. The only issue is getting up/down stairs. If you can do that, you are AOK.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage on public transportation

As long as you're not loaded down with body-sized bags on both arms, you'll do fine. The buses at LGA will have luggage racks in them, or depending on the seat you get, you might just hold it in front of you. When you transfer to the subway, just hold it right in front of you or push it under the seat if you can.

I do this everytime I come with just a standard carryon and never have any problems. It can be more crowded on your way back to the airport but the trip to the city, you'll be very early in the routes. Depending on where you're going I can give you more explicit directions. The new Q70 Express bus goes from LGA to the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Av station with connections to the E/F/M/R/7 trains. M60 is good for uptown Manhattan.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,811 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage on public transportation

On the subway try not to block the doors or the places people need to walk to exit. If you are near the end of a train car there is space there that is more out of the way.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage on public transportation

...also on the subway....just remember that your suitcase/bag does not get to use a seat. You need to put that on the floor/your lap/etc...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage on public transportation

very easy - people do it all the time. One oblivious (usually tiny) man with a big footprint moving around a lot with a daypack on his back is a lot worse than luggage, bicycles, strollers, etc.

suitcaseready.com

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage on public transportation

You have to be careful if traveling at rush hour not to take up too much space, block doorways, etc. Any suitcase, wheelie, etc. you have ought to fit between your legs --i.e., if you are standing on a subway or bus without luggage racks you ought to be able to just stick the bag between your legs, not having it take up a whole extra space next to you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage on public transportation

If you can carry with ease you'll be fine.

When I have to carry luggage on public transportation I try to avoid rush hour. If I can't I try to get a seat and contain my luggage. When I get off the train I wait for everyone else to go up the stairs before I head up. That way if I have to pause or I'm struggling, I'm not in the way.

Alabama
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage on public transportation

Thanks for all the great responses! In the back of my mind I knew the answer before I asked the question. You see, we will have 4 large suitcases with only 3 people to carry them. Our 4th traveler is my 7 year old. No chance we can manage the suitcase load, stairs, etc.. Looks like it will be a cab. Saving the money is not worth getting our trip started off poorly.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage on public transportation

You're welcome ShaneAlabama.. and yes, in this instance, most definitely a cab or car service;-) Just to note, from LGA the cab will be on meter.. so depending on traffic and where in the City you're headed, may end up costing more than a car service that will offer a flat rate regardless of traffic! You can check both www.dial7.com/ www.carmellimo.com/ for rates.. both popular and around for eons;-) Keep enjoyin'!