We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round 2 of questions please.

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Round 2 of questions please.

Hi all, so I’ve come up with the second edition of my questions for research purposes, after the great response I received and am still receiving from my first effort I’m excited to hear what you guys have to tell me about this lot;

Firstly in regard to an item in the last lot of questions about cheap sims for our phones, we all have iPhone4s so are we able to buy sims that will fit these in NYC or should we buy some cheap phones just for the trip?

Next is to do with a couple of sporting interests, I know it will be the NFL season while we are there in early October but I can’t seem to find any season draws to see when and who will be playing and where, so my question is at what time of year does the NFL release their season draw for the year?

Also sticking with sport…well sort of, we’re interested, for a bit of fun, to go and watch some roller derby action if it’s on at that time of year so any advice or tips on their seasons and/or venues would be great also.

Now possibly the most important question so far, in regard to accommodation, as I said we are planning to be in NYC from the 9th of October to the 17th and have a budget of $2500.00 for accommodation. We want to stay preferably in Brooklyn, going on tips and advice I’ve researched and read on here it seems as though it would suit us nicely, but everything we’ve looked at so far from say the $1700 to $2500 range have all been fairly small rooms and such. We’re wondering if this is the norm for the hotel rooms to be on the small size or not or only in and around our budget price. There are 3 of us, 2 adults and a teenager along with bags and carry-on luggage as well so we’re a bit wary of whether with these small rooms we could be a bit squashed in instead of being comfortable.

If any of you know of decent accommodation in the Brooklyn area within our budget we would appreciate any tips or clues you might like to pass on.

Thanks heaps to you all for being so informative and helpful, it really is a wonderful thing the TA forums especially for people like us who have no idea at all as to where to start until all of you extend your hands of friendship and answer all are concerns without problem, cheers.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

By my calculation, your budget comes to $277/day. That is on the low side for a room for 3 in October, but it shouldn't be impossible.

Brooklyn is a LARGE area (71 square miles). What is the reasoning behind staying there, and where do you want to stay? There are fewer hotel options than in Manhattan. The options in interesting neighborhoods may be nearly as pricey as Manhattan (or possibly pricier than some Manhattan options)

Yes, some NYC hotel rooms are very small, but not all of them are.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

It is possibly a bit early to be seeing good prices for October , what you are seeing is the rack rates , you could book something now that you can cancel when you see better prices ,

Rooms can be on the small side all over New York , but you will only be in there to sleep and store luggage , something that gives you access to transport and is clean and comfortable is the main priority , you can live with a small room for a week. Maybe you will get more space and value for your money looking in Long Island city , one stop out of Manhattan on the subway.

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

Hi ChristnP2

The reasoning behind the Brooklyn approach is that from a lot of stuff we've read on here it seems like the sort of area we would be interested in staying in, it has character and REAL New Yorkers, which is something we crave to do is meet real people not just other tourists, that's all really. As I said we have pretty much no idea and are basically being lead by the good people of the TA forum.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

1) I would buy cheap phones when you get here-

Trac phone is the cheapest

http://www.tracfone.com/get_a_tracfone.jsp

Virgin wireless

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

or Boost Mobile

are also offered in stores all over NYC (even in the airports)

2) American Football- www.nfl.com , http://www.newyorkjets.com/ , or http://www.giants.com/ will have schedules. Right now the season is coming to an end w/ the Supper bowl coming up. Next Season They will sell whole season tickets first, but some places (like www.stubhub.com ) will buy season tickets and sell them individually before the NFL teams do. I am not 100% on the exact dates.

3) Roller Derby- The Gotham Girls is the only one I know in NYC

www.gothamgirlsrollerderby.com/schedule/all

4) With that budget you can afford a Manhattan hotel with a view of the Brooklyn Bridge -The Best Western Plus Seaport Inn is coming in at your budget and you can walk the bridge to Brooklyn-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d75698-R…

Brooklyn is really spread out so unless you have a particular interest and need/want to stay close to that then it may not be the best area for a short trip.

Whatever you decide to do- Have fun!

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

Hi ree-nyc,

It's great to get an Aussie point of view with these things but having said that there is nothing like a bit of local knowledge. One thing I have been pleasantly surprised with on here is the amount of Aussies with the local knowledge which is fantastic for us. What time of year would be the best time to start looking seriously at making bookings for October in your opinion as we haven't got a huge budget and don't want to waste it on accommodation and not be able to afford to do the stuff in NYC that we've read all about on here.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

peterese

New York is so diverse , you will meet real "New Yorkers " wherever you stay , My question would be , what is your time worth , staying in Brooklyn and traveling in and out each day may eat into time that is better used exploring the city . You can stay in some of the more residential areas of Manhattan to get that neighborhood / local feel

have a look at Chelsea Inn , coming in under your budget http://www.chelseainn.com/

or the Off Soho Suites has a sale on at the moment for a suite with a bit more room for you just over your budget , http://www.offsoho.com/reservations_new.asp

I often book something early that can be cancelled and then keep looking for a better deal and cancel the other. You should start to see some specials coming out about May onwards

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

**but some places (like www.stubhub.com ) will buy season tickets and sell them individually before the NFL teams do.**

Just to clarify on this....stubhub doesn't buy the tickets......the holders of the ticket(s) put them on stubhub for re-sale. stubhub is just the platform.

8. Re: Round 2 of questions please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38