We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private dining NYC

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Private dining NYC

Hi everyone

Looking to find a private dining option in NYC for 10 people. This is for a small wedding celebration. I am finding that the minimums are crushing me - $3500 before gratuity taxes etc

I expect to pay however that's too high for 10 people. Any ideas at where I could try? Does need to be private though and a little bit special seeing as it's a wedding.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private dining NYC

Have you looked on Opentable? They have quite a list, but of course you'll have to do the legwork to contact whichever interests you, but it's a start. Just click the icon with the forks once you're on the New York City page.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private dining NYC

My wine group have had numerous private dinners at Amali (near Bloomingdales on 60th St b/t Lexington and Park Avenues) and at North Square (near Washington Square Park/ Greenwhich Village). The space at North Square is prettier, but both have great food and excellent service. They are perfect for your size.

Good luck and congrats!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private dining NYC

Thank you I will check these and open table.

I have contacted a lot of places and had lots of replies just not any that will work out. I'm finding the food and choice amazing ranging from del posto, per se to lovely less expensive places, however for example rooms can hold 16 and so the minimums are higher and I only need dinner for half that and that's been my problem. Too large a party for normal dining too small for private.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private dining NYC

Unless you want the privacy for toasts, etc., I don't think 10 is out of the norm for any regular dining room.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private dining NYC

Have you tried Blue Hill? We had a private party there last year. I think their minimums are less than that, however it is easy to reach the $3,000 bracket by the time you add the wines and gratuity, but the minimum was in the $1,500 + + (tax and gratuity) range. Excellent food and service. Rustic private room.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private dining NYC

In your last comment, you hinted that you may be having actual dinner for under 10 people (less than half of 16). Is that true?

If you want a space for cocktails, appetizers, toasts and then plan on having dinner with a smaller group, perhaps that's the better way to plan it.

I agree that you may have good dining options for a party of 10 without a private room. Even if OpenTable doesn't support parties that large for the particular restaurant, it may still be possible.

If $350 per person for food plus alcohol is over budget, then looking at high price point places like Del Posto is not the right approach. You could easily spend that at a regular dinner with drinks and wine there. There are lots of very nice, more affordable places. So don't be too discouraged by your initial findings.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,842 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private dining NYC

For your wedding reception, you might consider Mas Farmhouse in Greenwich Village. Zagat 2014: Rated #1 for romance in NYC. Food 27/30. On a leafy, quiet street in Greenwich Village. Taste in every respect.

http://www.masfarmhouse.com/home.html

[The private reception and dinner would be in a room to the right of the photo.]

Trip Advisor: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d42…

Edited: 22 January 2014, 01:18
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private dining NYC

When we dine at North Square, the cost averages to about $125 pp incl. tax and gratuity for about 12 people. It does not include alcohol. We get a 3-course dinner where we agree to a set menu with usually 2-3 options for each course.

At Amali, the food is served family style for groups of 12 or more. Otherwise, it is a la carte. The prices are about the same.

They don't have views or 2-Michelin chefs. However, the food and service are solid.

If you want a bit more history and ambiance, upstairs at 21 Club is an excellent venue. It's probably twice the cost.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private dining NYC

Gramercy Tavern is a lovely Michelin-starred restaurant and their private dining options appear to be a bit lower-priced than what you've been seeing:

gramercytavern.com/wp-content/…event-kit.pdf

Good luck and congratulations!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private dining NYC

I know that Picholine has a separate dining area and I think it is a nice place to hold a wedding celebration. I eat there every time I am in town and it is very good!