We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

Hello,

First time traveller to NY.

I have approx 8-9 days to browse New York.

I would love some help/suggestions on little day trips or other cities nearby (happy to travel a few hours) that are a must to see?

I'm in my late 20's and don't particulay like visiting Museums.

-Boston?

-Phillidelphia?

-Washington?

What's a not to miss?

TIA!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

A "day trip" generally means returning that night, without staying over. Your subject line says "nightly stop over"

Are you looking to leave NYC and stay somewhere else for a night (or maybe two?). If so, then Boston and DC are good options. If it's just a day trip, returning back to your NYC hotel that night, then Philadelphia is the only city close enough to do that.

What time of year is this trip? That could affect recs around Boston vs DC.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 14:52
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

Thanks for your reply.

We are visiting June 2014 ..

Happy to do a night away or day trips just depends on what's close enough?

Would you recommend boston and Phillidelphia?

Silly question but does Phillidelphia cheese originate from Phillidelphia?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

I'm partial to Boston and June is a lovely time to visit. I would spend two nights there.

It's a lot of traveling to try to see multiple other cities with just 8-9 days in the area, and you won't have enough time to devote to each location.

Have you booked your air yet? It's a shame to have to return to NYC for your flight home if you are going to end up going as far as Boston or DC.

Philadelphia is a brand of cream cheese. Cream cheese didn't originate in Philadelphia. The brand name was actually created by a New Yorker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_cheese

Philly is famous for its cheese steak.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

Philadelphia is a brand name of a cream cheese (farmer cheese) made by KRAFT company - the cheese is produced in Wisconsin and New York state.

WHY do you ask??

It is a very popular brand here in the eastern section of the USA.

And no, cream cheese is not an ingredient in cheese steaks, just in case you are wondering!

Poppa

Edited: 22 January 2014, 20:26
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

Assuming you mean Philadelphia CREAM cheese, the brand name was coined by a New York area manufacturer in the 1800's who was commercializing a style developed by numerous small Philadelphia area cheesemakers. Its now made by Kraft, a multinational corporation, and of course, is most associated with bagels which although available nationwide are most associated with and popular in ,New York.

Philly would be your easiest daytrip of the ones mentioned. You could have a cheesesteak (not made with Philadelphia Cream cheese)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

It's hard to recommend DC if you don't like museums. And if you aren't interested in American History, which usually involves museums, then same for Philly and maybe even Boston

What do yo like to do and what about museums do you not like (maybe there are some you would like)?

7. Re: Nightly stop over trips out of New York?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38