We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question without notice re accomodation and safety

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
221 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Question without notice re accomodation and safety

Hi all again, we've been looking at hotels around various locations and have come up with a few that I wouldn't getting a few opinions on about the area and safety, especially the one in the Bronx area as at the moment this is a bit of a favourite but as we have a young girl with us on this trip we are very concerned with the safety aspect, the hotels are;

Opera House Hotel in The Bronx

Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City

Windsor Hotel in The Bowery area

Best Western Plus Prospect Hotel in Brooklyn

any opinions and/or thoughts about these places and areas would but very much appreciated and also if there are any areas around Manhattan I maybe should be looking as well as these please don't hesitate to mention them

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

I know the Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City is well regarded on here. It's very close to the subway and a short ride into Manhattan. Hopefully, others will weigh in about the others.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

These hotels are all over the place. The best approach might be to detail your requirements and preferences, number of people, exact dates and budget and ask the forum for suggestions. They may find some great options that you have not yet identified.

Country is frequently recommended on the forum. It's often a good value hotel and reasonably convenient for NYC tourism. It may or may not be your best option... it really depends on things you haven't yet told us, and what kind of deals forum members can find for your dates. Everybody has fluctuating prices.

The Windsor Hotel in the Bowery gets TERRIBLE reviews. Have you read them? Yuck!!

Opera House gets good reviews, but is not the most convenient location. I'll let others on the forum talk about the pros and cons.

Location is an important factor. An easy subway ride to places you want to go is important. Is having interesting restaurants, etc near your hotel also important?

Also consider which airport you are using and what airport transit will entail.

Really, at this point it's better to ask the forum for suggestions after providing lots of info about what you are looking for, your preferences, dates, etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

The only one that's in a decent location AND a decent hotel is the Country Inn in LIC. Have you read the reviews here?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

Agree completely

Country Inn is a decent hotel imo - no safety issues to be concerned about

gas station next door very handy for snacks etc and very close to subway

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

The Country Inn is better than all of the rest of those by a long shot. I've had several guests stay there. It's a nice hotel in a convenient neighborhood.

The Opera House is an interesting new development in a lousy neighborhood. The Windsor Hotel is a flophouse. The Best Western Prospect isn't all that bad, but you have to change trains to go to Manhattan and it isn't as convenient as the Country Inn is. Compared to the others the Country Inn is an absolute gem; take it now.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

The Country Inn is definitely the way to go.

Nothing else you've mentioned is of comparable quality and location.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

Because of your somewhat unusual list of hotels, I've gone back to look at your previous threads and now see you have quite a reasonable budget for accommodation (although Oct. is not cheap) so I wonder why these places??? Are you planning on getting 2 rooms for the 3 of you? If you are, I understand. If you're not, from where I sit the Country Inn is almost $1000 below your intended budget. If you do like the idea of getting 2 rooms, the La Quinta in Long Island City looks a bit less than the Country Inn and is also fine and near the subway. While both are perfectly fine, for more than a week, I would think you'd want to be in a nicer area with more nearby dining options, something Long Island City lacks.

I see you started out wanting to stay in Brooklyn. The Super 8 Park Slope is in a great location. I wonder if you could get 2 rooms there (their rooms are small and the largest are double doubles vs. queen queens) within your budget.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d1751698…

There's a Fairfield Suites down the road that looks nicer,.but a bit over budget.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d1862567…

Loralei bed & breakfast in Brooklyn would likely be able to accommodate you with a bit more space and some privacy.

http://www.loraleinyc.com/rooms.htm

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d568866-…

Hotwire is a discount website that lets you pick dates, number of people, an area and doesn't tell you the name of the hotel until after you've booked (and you do pay on booking.). For your dates, I see a 3.5* hotel on the upper west side in Manhattan for $250/night plus tax for 2 adults and a child with a 95% thumbs up rating. It could be the Beacon hotel (a well loved family place) but even if it's not (it could be the Excelsior), it's still a great deal in a great area if you're willing to prepay and gamble a bit.

Last but not least, the Canal Park Inn in Manhattan is just a tad over your budget for their Sinnot Suite and would give you your own kitchenette as well as free breakfast in a not very touristy part of Manhattan.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1995585…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

Stay in Midtown Manhattan only.... Avoid excess travel.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

You will need to use the subway regardless of whether you stay in midtown or in LIC

New York City
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question without notice re accomodation and safety

The Bronx Hotel is located in Mott Haven otherwise known as the South Bronx. Even I wouidnt go there and I was born in the Bronx!!!