We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

Thank you all on helping me choose a steakhouse for my boss. Now how he would like to have lunch at a nice seafood restaurant near his hotel at the Warwick. I like the ambience at these to restaurants. Oceana has a nice menu with a lot of variety, but Milos has something different because of the Greek influence. He asked for a very good seafood restaurant that is unique with great food. Has anyone eaten at either of these two restaurants. He can't travel from far from his hotel because after he eats he needs to head right to JFK; so he can't to waste time traveling in a taxi to a restaurant.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

I've only sat at the bar at Milos and had some wine and apps.. admittedly, pricey but excellent;-) Have been at their restaurant in Athens at the Hilton but that's a whole different ball game;-) Milos ships their fish direct from Greece.. and priced as in Greece.. by the pound (as opposed to kilo;-) A few friends that have eaten the fish there have told me it's as good as it gets.. and as fresh as it gets.. traditionally prepared with olive oil and lemon.. I haven't read the reviews on it here but you may want to check them out! Close enough to the Warwick too! Best.. and EnJOY!

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

Thank you for your feedback. I have looked at the reviews. Many say the food is great at Milos, very fresh. Based on their website seems like the menu is limited for lunch...$25 for 3 courses. I will have to call and confirm if that is so. Oceana has a more diverse menu, but reviews are up and down.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 16:22
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

I've eaten lunch at the Milos in Las Vegas and it was the best, most pristine fish I think I have ever eaten. Like Litsa's friends, my fish was so simple - just olive oil, lemon and capers. My husband had a shrimp dish with tomatoes and feta and we both liked mine better.

I just looked at the NY website and they offer the same BARGAIN 3-course lunch as they do in Vegas (Vegas is a couple of dollars less), but $25 for the quality of food we got is outstanding.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 16:33
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

You're welcome Jamillah L:-) FWIW, I've never been to Oceana so can't comment.. but appears the $25. lunch is a deal at Milos;-) I haven't checked out the site or checked out the menu in a while.. doubt much that fresh fish would be included but would think they'd offer a la carte for those wishing to have some;-) Let us know how it goes.. and keep enjoyin'!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

The reviews of Milos on

menupages.com

are pretty scathing, mostly complaining of being overpriced. The $25 prix fixe lunch looks like good value to me if what he wants to eat is on the menu. I've never seen a restaurant that doesn't also have an a la carte option but there doesn't seem to be one either on their website or on menupages. Le Bernardin is a 5 min. walk from the hotel and is arguably the best seafood restaurant in the city if not the country. If he doesn't want the full multi course lunch, he could sit in the lounge area and order a la carte in a somewhat more relaxed setting.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/le-bernardin/

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

They did also have an a la carte lunch menu (in Vegas, but I'm sure also in NY). But the a la carte choices were WAAAY overpriced. The very same lavroki (sp?) (I think that's the sea bass?) I had was $50 something a la carte. And Litsa, I'm not sure about your comment about doubting that fresh fish would be included? Let me assure you that it was. Unless you have some evidence that they have one bin of lavroki for those that get the prix fixe and one for those that get the a la carte? Yes, the choices were very limited, but we each chose 3 courses that did not have a supplement (just on principle) and could not have been happier.

I've not been to Oceana but if the OP thinks her boss needs more choice then maybe that is the way to go?

Edited: 23 January 2014, 17:40
New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

I have read about Le Bernardin being the best seafood restaurant in the city. I think I will check them out and read the reviews on menupages about Milos. Thanks again!

Edited: 23 January 2014, 17:42
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

..I doubt they have 2 bins Warmwinds, lol!! Just saying didn't 'think' they'd include a fish like Lavraki that goes for $50 something as you state.. also offered on a $25 deal.. that's all! Enjoyin'!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

I doubted this lunch deal for a long time, and had no desire to go. We finally did, and I was made a believer. Also remember that $50 lavraki on the a la carte menu was just for that course, the $25 lunch deal included 2 other courses! I know there are way more restaurant choices in New York than there are in Vegas, but I have to tell you on a Tuesday at 1:30 this place was slam packed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oceana vs Estiatorio Milos

Oceana is kind of ok. It is very corporate, but I much prefer Le Bernardin - of course, they have a price to match. But I was disappointed in the food the last couple of times I ate at Oceana.

Milos is better, I think. Kellari Taverna isn't as close to the Warwick, but another option for fresh fish. Avra also. Both Greek.