We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to buy camera memory & case

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Need to buy camera memory & case

Hi all, on way to NYC and forgot to get memory for my camera and a case, in the airport now and it's £20 ($33) for 8GB and £15 ($25) for a case which seems very high. Anyone recommend a reputable electrical store in Times Square area where the owners aren't looking to rip you off?

Appreciate any help. Cheers

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

B&H 9th Ave and W34th Street

bhphotovideo.com/find/…NYSuperStore08.jsp

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

J&R is another option

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

$33!? What a rip-off! There's also a Best Buy mobile in Times Square, but by the "mobile" I'm assuming it's not a full store. There's a full store on 44th and 5th ave.

Their 8GB cards are "on sale" ranging from $10-$16 with a few outliers. I say "on sale" since their memory cards are always "on sale", which makes me think their actual price is closer to the sale price. /endrant.

The case price seems typical to me, maybe off by a few dollars.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

Best Buy generally has better prices for memory cards.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

Do NOT buy anything from the 'electronic' stores in Times Square - as suggested B&H or a full service Best Buy or STAPLES would be the best case scenario.

I saw an 8 gb on sale at STAPLES last week for $10 or so.....stay away from TS stores....tourist traps.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

Agree with all the above but please note that BH is not open Saturdays

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

apropos of this thread, I just was reading about how common fake memory cards are so all the more reason to buy from a reputable source. Just google "fake memory cards" to see what I mean

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

Best Buy usually has the best prices on memory cards - better than Adorama, which is pretty competitive with B&H. Radio Shack also gives them away. I think I picked up 2 8 gig Sandisk cards for under $10 each around the holidays.

Any chance you want a laptop/SLR daypack? I have an unused Crumpler one with the tag still on!

suitcaseready.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

Cheers everyone. Going to head to Staples as one of you mentioned B&H closed.

10. Re: Need to buy camera memory & case

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:18