We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Park

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Central Park

My daughter and I are visiting in March and have decided a trip to Central Park will be made on a Sunday morning.

My daughter would like to do a horse and carriage ride. Does anyone know how much this would roughly cost and do I need to pre book?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Park

I would advise against it

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Park

Why?

Nenagh, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Park

Yep, we researched this and realised it's a terrible idea. In fact, a lot of well known New York residents are currently campaigning to ban the carraige rides due to the mistreament of the horses. I don't have the link saved but I'm sure you could google.

If you really want an alternative to walking I'd suggest a pedicab. If you search the boards here there are links to some repuable guides who have gotten great feedback.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Park

If the weather is good, do visit but you will get the best experience by walking through the park as you will be able to access many more of the areas of the park that are well worth seeing -

As to the horse and carriages, our new mayor has proposed banning them but when that may happen (or if) is unknown.

You wouldn't get much from a visit to the park with a horse/carriage, given the brief rides and all that is missed by using one of these.

Look over http://www.centralparknyc.org to see all there is to visit in the park.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Park

I disagree with the above posts. Born and raised in Manhattan, I have used this tourist attraction a few times. It is a classic way to see Central Park. Walk along 5Th avenue. See the horses yourself, speak with the drivers. If at that time you decide that it is not for you, by-pass them. The rates are clearly displayed on each cab. You do not have to pre-book. Happy travels.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Park

1. Recounting several posts on the Forum: beware of the rates and charges of pedicab drivers, if you are considering taking one. ALWAYS work out specifics of the trip in advance, especially distance, route. time and final all-inclusive price. Look around and ask to see his sign showing his rates; if they are different from what he is quoting, offer the lower one on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. If he or she argues, it is best to find someone else.

Again recounting the essence of a number of posts on the Forum. This is not to predict a bad experience. However, in infrequent and extreme cases, if a driver disputes an agreed-upon fare, say "no". If he or she persists to the point of making you at all uncomfortable, don't argue, just call the police.

2. The horse carriage rides are objectionable to many locals and others. Some or more horses appear to be in poor condition. Carriages have been a New York icon, are legal at this time, and there is no specific announced date that I am aware of for revising or ending them . If you think your daughter would enjoy the ride (it is not fast or long), and if lawful then, you might give that weight in any decision, along with any considerations you may have concerning animal welfare and humane treatment. Separately, if she is indifferent, the cost may become an even more important factor in your decision.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 19:38
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Park

Last Sundays New York Times featured an article on the horse and carriage (aka Hansom Cabs) business in NYC.

There are varying views on this 'attraction' - one would have to study the entire operation and make their own conclusions; however, using them for a 'tour' of Central Park - not really a good idea as they are restricted to where they may travel - walking is a better bet - as for pedicabs, another controversial subject - many are very unscrupulous - so the warning about finding a 'reputable' one should be taken very seriously - at one time a pedicab driver used to post on this forum - his name 'tourguidestan' - try PM'ing him or GOOGLING to see if he responds...

If you have access to the NYTimes - the article was very informative!

Poppa

Edited: 24 January 2014, 19:44
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Park

Thanks for all your help and information

I think it's because many of the things my daughter has seen on Central Park, always show the famous Horse & Carriage rides.

Obviously if the horse looks ill treated I wouldn't dream of riding in it

The cost will also be a large factor if we ride or not

I have just downloaded the app for Central Park so that should be very helpful for when we arrive

Once again thank you for all your replies

9. Re: Central Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 17:00
Johnston City...
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Park

you can also go to www.centralpark.com and get their weekly schedules and what they have to offer