We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Hi all,

I am currently planning to travel to the USA in June 2014...part of which will be spending 4 nights in NYC.

I am a 25yr old female travelling alone and have been advised that a hostel ie YMCA in the centre of NYC would be my best bet. The best one Ive found is the NY Budget Hostel at around £50 a night. HOWEVER I have looked at a number of hostel reviews on here, and they ALL say that noise is a problem...as quite a light sleeper I can see this being an issue.

Due to this and pricing I was thinking at looking at hotels slightly further out...Ive seen on here that hotels in Long Island City would be my best bet. These seem to be more expensive, I have found one for around £80 a night, but wasnt sure whether this would take away from me staying in the centre of NYC.

I guess what Im asking is whether the noise in these hostels/Manhattan area would be that bad, or whether I'm better off staying in a hotel, quieter and further out?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Which YMCA location are you staying at ?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Prices vary, even within the same month. You'll need to include EXACT dates for suggestions. Also, what is the maximum you can spend per night, in USD, excluding taxes (which adds ~15%)?

Did you mean "New York Budget Inn"? That's actually classified as a "hotel" (in its Certificate of Occupancy) so it appears to be legal. There are problems with illegal hostels (and even illegal hotels) in NYC so you need to be careful.

Sleeping in rooms you share with strangers is difficult if you are a light sleeper. Even with non-shared rooms, noise can be a problem for NYC hotels. Have you ever tried sleeping with earplugs? Maybe you want to get used to that at home.

There are some good hotels in Long Island City and there are some bad ones (either due to poor location or other reasons). We can't advise you on the hotel you've identified unless you tell us which one it is. There are some LIC hotels that are near the subway and a quick ride into Manhattan. It's a popular option for more affordable accommodations.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

It would be from the 9th - 13th June. I've found some decent single rooms for the YMCA, which is what id be looking for.

I looked at The Verve in LIC, I think it was around £80.

I had a feeling noise would be an issue anywhere, if thats the case I'll happily man up and crack on with it, just wanted to avoid it if it was going to be a more subjective thing, if that makes sense.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Im flexible on price, although i am looking for as cheap as possible without the accomodation being a complete dive.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

I dont know about prices but i have stayed at the pod hotel for the last 3 trips. Very lovely location, clean and share bathrooms.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

I'm too old to sleep in a bunk bed in a room with strangers....The Verve is a good choice, gets good reviews and is close to the subway.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Most of the people on this forum speak US Dollars, not British Pounds. £80 is ~$132 USD. I'm seeing rates for the Verve at $140 + tax. It's a good hotel in a good location though.

Also look at Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City. They are often a bit less expensive than the Verve ($130), but still an ok place to stay. Rooms have a fridge and microwave too, which can help a bit with expenses. I believe they provide a breakfast with hot items (eggs, sausage, etc) whereas the Verve provides continental breakfast.

A Manhattan option that could work for you would be the Jane. This is a hostel-type room, but a private one. Shared bath. $115. Cancelable rate on Kayak. Cool location.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

If you are concerned about noise, be aware that there are elevated subway trains that run through Long Island City that are frequent and noisy. Look on a map for the #7 Flushing/Time Square line and also those that go from Queensboro Plaza to Astoria. The E train route is underground and causes no problems.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 21:29
West Yorks
Level Contributor
842 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Have you looked at the Larchmont? It gets very good reviews. Their rates are $90 - $125 for a single room.

I have booked for March and am also a very light sleeper but have my special earplugs ready, just in case.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 21:42
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostel in Manhattan vs hotel further out

Consider the West Side YMCA, 63rd St. and Central Park West, 2 blocks from subway and 3 blocks from Lincoln Center. Much of the clientele are people in their 20s, many (not all) from the UK, Canada and Europe.

Ask for a private room for 1 person with a bathroom across the hall that locks. They will understand.

ymcanyc.org/association/…westsiderooms