We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City Break

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New York City Break

I am looking at booking a trip to new York with my boyfriend, I need some ideas and tips in regards to somewhere nice to stay, locality etc. We are traveling from England and planning this for next year, enough time to save plenty of money for this trip. I really want a nice hotel/apartment that isn't too pricey but is ideally situated, I don't mind paying extra if I know it will be clean and friendly. Also was thinking of going in June, Is this going to be too hot? should I maybe go earlier like April/May? I want nice weather but not too much heat.

We wanted to do the sex and the city tour (well I do my boyfriend just pulls a face when I mention it) is it any good or could I do this on my own and save $100. Also was thinking of Sopranos tour as both big fans.

Any advice, tips and knowledge would be a great help

thanks

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City Break

<<Any advice, tips and knowledge would be a great help>>

Yes. Do not rent an apartment.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7142999…

I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice if you give a ballpark budget in USD / night for your hotel.

Enjoy your planning!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City Break

Have a good read of all the top questions asked on the forum. There are loads of hotels of various stars and prices. I went to new york in july once and it was far too hot! Not sure what June will be like. Gather a list of things you want to see and do and then order them using a map into the different areas! I used a hop on hop off bus the first time to get a overview of the city and get my bearings. We did the downtown and uptown tour which was brilliant. We went to top of the rock during the day so saw central park and the empire state. We then did empire state at night to see the city lit up!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City Break

There can always be an unusual heatwave (and of course chance of rain), but generally speaking June is a great month to come weatherwise. It's July and August when things usually get hot.

As for where you should stay, that depends on your interests and what you're going to be spending most of your time doing. I would probably stay somewhere Midtown, right smack in the middle of all the usual attractions like the Empire State Building, Times Square and 5th Avenue shopping. The major museums are in the 70's and 80's. Lower Manhattan has the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, the 9/11 Memorial, and closer access to Brooklyn and New Jersey.

4. Re: New York City Break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 17:00
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York City Break

Hi thanks everyone, some great advice. maybe look to go in May when its a little cooler. thanks again:-)

USA
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York City Break

May and June are the best two months in this area. It rarely ever gets too hot and everything is in bloom and days are long. Try to stay in Manhattan, but it will be expensive. Plan out some things and figure out what makes the most sense in terms of location for hotel. Manhattan is easily accessible by foot or train. You can cover a lot of things in a long day. I don't' know much about the tours you mentioned, but the sopranos tour would be in Jersey, no? I am a big fan of the sopranos, but the sites in Jersey aren't anything spectacular, believe me, I drive by the Bing every day.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York City Break

I have been to NYC twice and stayed in Hilton Midtown and then Hotel St James on w45th street. I am heading back in May and planning to stay at St James again. It really has everything you need. It's literally 2 mins off Times Square and has 2 great delis next door one of which is 24 hours. It's not as luxurious as Hilton but all you need is a base. It's exceptionally clean and so friendly. Look at booking.com but don't be put off by the room pictures, they have all been updated and are very comfortable. You will get 5 nights for around £700 compared to £1200 for Hilton. Have a great time wherever you decide 😃

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York City Break

Hotel prices fluctuate wildly by date bsed on demand. June is a really expensive time in hotels here due to weddings, graduations and good weather. Your hotel money will go much further at other tiems. I use

Kayak.com

To shop hotels. Try a few different dates. Pick one or two hotels that interest you (the Distrikt and the Strand are 2 relatively new, nice ones that aren't outrageously expensive).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York City Break

PS there are actually reviews here on TA for all the tours. Fans of SATC love the tours. I'd leave bf to do something else while you go. $100 sounds waay too expensive though. Closer to the trip, google discounts for it. You may find some on

Goldstar.com

Travelzoo.com

Edited: 30 December 2014, 13:28
10. Re: New York City Break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2016, 06:17