We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy to try?

Bristol, Vermont
9 posts
Save Topic
Crazy to try?

My daughter and I arrive this afternoon. We have tickets to matilda tonight and plan to grab a quick bite at Ellen's SD not for the food...but the fun. My question is....she really wants to squeeze in a visit to Empire State Bldg. So....can we get that in between 3-5 and still have time? I would rather not stress about being late to places..... Sunday we have a tour at tenement, visit to 9/11 memorial, and she wants to shop, see Central Park.

Suggestions?

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
USA
Level Contributor
13,701 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy to try?

You might be able to, they do have a "special price ticket" which let's you skip the line. If you can skip the line, then yeah an hour or so is more than enough time. If you go, pay the extra fee to go to the 102nd floor, it's worth it. Allow some time between the ESB, dinner, and the theatre. You're going past the theatre after the ESB. It might be unrealistic if dinner is busy, keep that in mind. Maybe grab a quick bite before the show and then go to dinner after the show? One thing to keep in mind is that the ESB is pricy to begin with, by the time you add the "skip the line" and 102nd floor, it may not be worth it as visibility may not be great. We're going to be having snow showers at times today.

For Sunday, start early and you should be able to squeeze all those things in. Not really sure about how exciting Central Park will be, but if it's on your list, then go. Shopping is everywhere, but 5th Avenue is very popular. Dress warm.

Bristol, Vermont
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy to try?

Thanks so much. Given the chance of poor visibility and not wanting to rush, I think we will skip it for today and if something opens up for Sunday, we'll do it then. Thanks for the tip about 102 floor....I was wondering about that. My daughter is 11 and very into art museums....maybe walk to the MET in Central Park? But I bet we have more than we want to do than time.....

USA
Level Contributor
13,701 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy to try?

There are so many galleries in NYC and you can stop in, check out some art, and then keep going. Not museums, but art nonetheless. Soho has plenty of cool little galleries, walk in if you see any. The museums like the MET require hours of attention, plus they're not cheap. Enjoy your trip.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy to try?

The Met is in the 80s. That's a bit of a walk. And the place is huge. By the time you get there you won't have time to see anything (it's easy to spend a day at the Met).

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy to try?

The ESB is open till 2am. You can always go after Matilda or on one of the other nights after you have done everything else. There will be a lot less queues, if any, so you won't need to pay for the express ticket.

You also then get the view of Manhattan all lit up a night, just like you see in the movies, which I am sure your daughter will love.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy to try?

Where you are staying bears on some of the logistics and time considerations that could be helpful to you and your daughter.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 13:31
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,651 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crazy to try?

And so you know, many of us would strongly disagree about the 102 floor observatory being worth it. The view is basically the same, and the visibility isn't great.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crazy to try?

And be sure to AVOID the Sky Ride at ESB

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,427 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crazy to try?

You daughter might also enjoy the Museum of Modern Art http://www.moma.org/ or the Museum of Arts and Design http://www.madmuseum.org/

10. Re: Crazy to try?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:19