We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

Durham, North...
6 posts
Save Topic
one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

Hi There,

I'm travelling from Raleigh to Chennai, India on Feb 2nd with my 18months old son using Qatar airways. The connection from raleigh to JFK is thru JetBlue which comes to terminal 5 at 9:26PM. My next connecting flight to Chennai is at 10.20PM from terminal 8.

My question is will this transit time be enough to reach my connecting flight at terminal 8.I know this is going to be hectic. Since I'm travelling with my infant and that too in the late hours, will there be proper transport to reach the terminal and catch my next intl flight on time. I'm really worried if I can make it on time :(

Please advise/suggest me if there are any tips to catch my flight on time!

Thanks,

Mythily.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,618 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

This is two separate tickets, right? And I assume you'll have to transfer your own luggage? Can't be done. You'll need an earlier flight from Raleigh. Leave AT LEAST three hours, preferably give or six.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

I too have to assume these are on separate tickets as the minimum connection time between these 2 airlines at JFK is 1 hour 15 minutes, which I would never do as even that's too short of a time. I agree that you should allow at least 3 hours connection time for these flights. I would check with Jet Blue about changing to an earlier flight. To change between T5 and T8 you should follow the signs to the AirTrain.

Durham, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

Thanks for your reply. This is a single ticket booked in Qatar and jetblue is the connecting flight to JFK. My checkins will be done in Raleigh itself. Please let me know if one hour is still not enough.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,618 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

You're SURE this is a single ticket? Did you buy the whole thing at once through Qatar's website? I can't imagine that it would be a legal connection. And no, you still won't make it.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

Book an earlier flight from Raleigh or a later flight from JFK.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

Emphatically no. What if flight #1 is 34:1 minutes late, that leaves you 19.9 minutes.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 16:05
Durham, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

I booked the tickets wt a travel agent.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

Hey Mythily:-) I'd go back to your agent and ask for an earlier flight into JFK.. even if this IS a legal connection (which I doubt but have seen worse), I wouldn't chance it with barely 55 min.. even if you were you land timely, luggage checked though and you'd have boarding pass in hand.. by the time Jet Blue tires hit the tarmac.. taxi to gate and de-plane, chances are your trans could have already closed gate! Way too close for comfort! Give yourself at least 3 hours for this connection.. more is better to cover those 'just in case' scenarios;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,563 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

I can't see how this transfer is remotely possible given you have to go to a separate terminal, go through security, etc.

Call your travel agent, express your very appropriate concerns and request a change be made to allow more time between flights -

IF for some reason the flights cannot be changed, confirm this is all one ticket and that if you miss the flight out of JFK, the airline will put you on the next available flight.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 16:39
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one hour transit time in JFK enough for International travel

Because you booked it with a travel agent, does not mean it is 1 ticket.