We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

Hi,

During our 7 night trip to NYC in feb we are thinking of maybe a trip to Washington. What's the best way to go about it? What buses etc do we use? What's the travel time? Cost etc?

Many thanks.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

It's MUCH better to do an overnight--perhaps before or after your trip (thus only 1 1-way NYC-DC or DC-NYC, then home)

Go early in the AM by AMTRAK (not more-expensive ACELA) from Penn Station NYC to Union Station, DC. Check the schedule; the cost varies with the schedule. Time: about 3 hours. A little more expensive than the bus, which also leaves from near Penn Station, but much faster, more comfortable and more scenic..

Develop an itinerary with your research of things you most want to do; prioritize.

Get a map and plot your attractions.

In considering a hotel, follow this: . tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k564802…

Post a draft itinerary, hotel checklist response, and preferences. we'll respond.

DC
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

It's not a good day trip. You should consider staying over one night. In February, you should take Amtrak because the combination of potential weather and traffic issues make a bus an even worse idea than normal. You could get an early NE Regional train and get to DC in just under 3.5 hours (Acela trains are considerably more expensive but save you only about 40 minutes) and then an evening train for return.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

If you wish, tell us a little about your family including number of people and ages. That can impact recommendations including things like the pandas, the Insect Zoo (not at the zoo), discovery activities for children, the giant elephant, the enormous dinosaurs (your timing is great--in April, they are going on vacation for 5 years) and the Hope Diamond (tell your husband to relax--it's not for sale).

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

Hi,

Will be myself, partner and my sister travelling (all adults 26-37 years)

Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

I've booked a day trip to Washington for my upcoming visit to NYC. We're getting the train about 8am getting to DC at 11:30. We have 6.5 hours there and are getting back into NYC at 9:30pm. Cost is $98 each return.

We think it'll be worth it as we want to see the main sights in Washington and think this will be long enough. I'm hoping to catch up on some sleep on the train! Plus the train has free wifi which is a good bonus!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
761 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

I echo the advice to stay over in DC one night. I can tell you that I've done that day trip more times than I care to count, for work, and it seems doable but ends up being totally exhausting. (And I am an energetic, active person in my 30s who likes to walk around and explore.) If you do decide to make it a day trip, lots of caffeine might help! Also, I hate the exorbitant Acela fees as much as anyone, but for a day trip I find it does make a difference - shaving off any time where you can helps when you have such a limited amount of time to begin with.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

We have a day trip to Washington DC booked for our trip in April . Catching the 4am train down and a 7pm train back , I would only use the train , buses seem to unreliable .With the advanced purchase of tickets it only cost $300 for the 4 of us.Yes it is going to be a very big day and my kids will need to sleep on the train , but if you only have a day to spare and really want to see this area , that's what we need to do.

Exact prices can be found on the Amtrak website

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

I have made this trip twice. Use the Regional Express rather than the more expensive Acela that is only slightly faster. Plan your trip in advance as far as what you really want to see. Places with long lines should be avoided.

The area from the White House up the National Mall to the Capitol contains most of what people like to see. Leave early and by 6 PM when things close, you will be ready for a rest. Union Station is within walking distance of the Capitol. Consider taking the subway to one end of the Mall and walk back. Megabus near Penn Station does go to DC, but the travel time gets too long compared to train even for Philadelphia.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

Hi,

Thank you all for your advice. I will take it all on board and have a look into planning it tomorrow:) I need to go over our final NYC iltinary first to see which day will be best to fit our DC trip in to!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Kelly.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from NYC to Washington DC ? Do-able?

interesting post - what website do you use to buy the tickets, as I would like to do a day trip too.