We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in NY and would appreciate some help

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First time in NY and would appreciate some help

Hiya

2 of us going to NYC for St Paddy's Day. Neither of us have been before so apologies for the 'daft' questions but hoping someone can give some good advice...

1) flight arrives in JFK - how much would a cab be? We are staying at 54th street. Can we jump in one at the airport?

2) we want to do the touristy things for the next 2 days. Should we buy a NY city pass? Can u buy it cheaper in NY? Is it worth getting a bus ticket also?

3) St Paddys Day on day 3. Is it worth paying for a pub crawl tour? Want to go to some Irish bars. Told Parlour Bar and Dempseys are best. Is alcohol expensive?

4) want to go to a show on day 4. Prob rock of ages. Is TKTS best place to get tickets? And how much should we expect to pay for matinee show?

5) also been suggested we get a NYC greeter? Sounds fine but is it wasting valuable time?

Sorry if these all seem like daft questions but given we are only there for 5 days, we want it all planned before we go so not to waste time wandering aimlessly for hours lol

Any hints/tips/suggestions most welcome xx

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

1. It will be around $70 all in. Ignore the touts and get in the official line.

2. The only pass you need imo is the metrocard

3. alcohol pricing varies depending where you go

4. broadwaybox.com is a better option imo

5. Getting a greeter is a GREAT idea

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,075 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

1) Cab from JFK are a flat rate to anywhere in Manhattan - with tolls and tip usually about $70. There is a taxi dispatcher line outside the terminal, ignore any touts. There are also lower cost options via subway - specific directions depend on exact location of hotel.

2) The value of passes are questionable. Total up the cost of the individual places you want to visit to see if it is a good value for you. Metrocards cover subway and city bus travel. Which card to buy depends on how many times you are likely to ride. Card options here: http://www.mta.info/metrocard/compare.htm

3) There are tons of bars, doubt there is a need to pay someone to take you from one to another.

4) Check the show website to see ticket availability for your time frame http://www.rockofagesmusical.com/ Check www.broadwaybox.com/shows/rock-of-ages/ for discounted tickets. Tickets at TKTS vary by day and show popularity. http://www.tdf.org/TKTSBoards.aspx

5) A Big Apple Greeter - if you can get one - is a great way to see to see the city through the eyes of a local.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

1) Answered above.

2) I would also skip the NYC pass....Explore the city at your own pace not feeling the need to rush from A to B.

3) No to pub crawl. Not needed. The cost of alcohol varies....but you can always "pre game!"

4) I defer to the other TA members.

5) I also defer.

**Any hints/tips/suggestions most welcome**

For St Patrick's Day...travel "light." It is one of the busiest bar days in NYC. Note the following:

-Your shoes/boots/sneakers/sandals/etc will get stepped on/drinks spilled on them/etc. Take that into account before you wear your finest.

-It will be CROWDED in bars. As I said, travel light. Try to bring a very SMALLl purse(I am guessing that you are a woman) and keep everything in there. Take as little as possible with you.

-Be prepared for MASSIVE crowds once you get into a bar. Getting a drink will take a while. Using the restroom will take a while.

-DEFINITELY eat a good breakfast and lunch before you go bar-hopping.

-I see so many women hanging out for St Paddy's Day in jeans/tights/sweats and not worrying about getting anything spilled on them and feeling comfortable. IMO, this is the way to go!

(I am speaking only of bar hopping, etc. Not anything fancy.)

-Consider "pre gaming!"

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm female yes but also Scottish :) so not too worried about the daft shoes and drinks being spilled on me - something I'm well used to!!

In terms of travel from airport, is there a better way to do it? Ok, by better, I mean cheaper lol

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

Yep. Public transportation is easy and someone will provide exact directions shortly. Save the $$ for the NYC activities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

Where are you specifically staying? 54th Street is not enough information. What's the address or at the very least, the nearest cross street?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

West 54th St if that helps

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

54th West....

That starts at 5th Avenue and goes right over to the Hudson River.......so 1/2 the width of Manhattan, and still not enough information re good advice vis the subway or walking....

As Mez asks, at least a cross street, and preferably the address....or the two avenues it's between (avenue blocks are the long blocks).

Edited: 25 January 2014, 21:38
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

Haha. Spot the person who has never been to NY before :)

230 w 54 st is where I believe our hotel to be.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in NY and would appreciate some help

^^ Haha. Spot the person who has never been to NY before :)

Ha ha back....

PS do apply for a Greeter, not a waste of time at all...especially for a first trip...I do hope you get one.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 21:48