We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYWhiz please help

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
NYWhiz please help

We are coming back to NYC this Thanksgiving. There will be 3 (possibly 4-but in all liokihood only 3) ladies (2 seniors and 1 middle ager) We are looking for room with 2 queen beds. We have booked the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square for November 23-28th. The price including taxes and fees is $1,601.00. I saw a post about The Hotel at Times Square , checked out the price and for 2 queen beds non smoking I'm seeing the price for those dates at $1251.04 taxes and fees included. What is your opinion of the 2 hotels? Is one vastly better than the other? One of the reasons for coming again at Thanksgiving is one of our ladies has never seen the Thanksgiving Day parade (except on tv) and it turns out this has been a dream of hers. So would one or the other be better (or shorter distance ) to the parade route. We've stayed at the Westin Times Square a couple of times and The Hilton Times Square but their prices are out of the budget this time around. Thank you for any information--you have been such a WONDERFUL help for our previous trips. If you favor The Hotel at Times Square I will change our booking as soon as I get a reply from you OR anyone else who can offer advice. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYWhiz please help

Would anyone care to offer an opinion??? Thank you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYWhiz please help

It's Saturday night in NYC at the moment, so you should get replies from the locals in the next 12-15 hours.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYWhiz please help

You also specifically directed a public post to whiz.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NYWhiz please help

Patience.......everyone here is a volunteer and directing a post to a specific responder can delay responses.....

I have stayed at the Hotel at TS several times; no issues, it's a basic hotel - we found it very acceptable - it was renovated around 3 years ago - very convenient to 5th & 6th Avenues - I believe the parade travels down 6th so you are not far away....however, a million people line the parade route - so getting a spot early is a must....

Poppa

5. Re: NYWhiz please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 13:00
Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYWhiz please help

Thank you Poppa. You info was most helpful. I'm going to book this hotel but also hang on to our other reservation.--just in case the prices change or our needs do. I sure didn't mean to give the impression my question was special or deserved special attention. I'm just anxious to get back to my favorite city and to make sure the people who come with me get the best deal possible for the money they are spending ( this time includes a senior on a fixed income). Once again thank you for you information.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYWhiz please help

Good morning mpjones. The Hotel at Times Square is one of the better BUDGET hotels. The rooms are not plush but a decent size and they actually include a free continental breakfast in the room rate making it an even better deal. It's also a little closer to the parade route but that wouldn't be a reason to pick it (IMO). The parade is a few hours on one day and you're coming for 5. You will have to walk (or ride) from wherever you stay. I actually prefer the views of the parade from the upper west side along Central Park West or near Columbus Circle.

Just keep in mind you've stayed at very nice 4* hotels in the past. The HGI Times Square is a much beloved hotel with big rooms. The thumbs up rating here on TA is 93% which is even a bit higher than the previous hotels you've used.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d99352-R…

The HATS has a thumbs up rating of 79% and there are some complaints about loud heating pipes (a common problem in old buildings here).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d249711-…

But the fact that you can book this with no prepayment or penalty if you change your mind is a good thing.

I spent some time looking to see what other options you might have for 2 queen beds. At this point, the Courtyard Midtown East which was recently updated and a nicer hotel than the HATS is showing a price of ~$1200 for the 5 nights if you prepay or $1340 for free cancellation. It's not quite as close to the parade as either of the other options, but I repeat, the parade is only one day. It has similar high ratings to HGI Times Square.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d99371-R…

The Residence Inn Midtown East is a newish hotel that also includes free breakfast and can be booked with 2 queens for $1400-1500 depending on whether you prepay and the rooms have full kitchens. Also high ratings

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d3583686…

Edited: 26 January 2014, 14:33
Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYWhiz please help

Thank you so much--I am checking on your the other options you have listed.. Our main consideration for this trip is for the one lady coming with us as this is her first time to New York and she has a long list of things she wants to see and do but has a limited budget. My daughter and I will try to pick up some of the things for her but she has whole LOT of pride and this has been difficult for us in the past. Once again thank you for invaluable help--what this forum be without you !!!

9. Re: NYWhiz please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 07:17